South America in a K1200RS? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2013, 6:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

South America in a K1200RS?

Hello all,
well, i live in Uruguay, ive a K75C, and i like it. I would like to have more HP....

I was thinking on doing a US-Uruguay trip, fliying to US, buying a bike there, and coming home riding south.

Obviously, a GS is a perfect bike for this trip, but they are expensive, and i do not have too much money to be honest.

I know Peru and Bolivia has lot of off road roads, but they are paved ones too.

The mayority of the travel roads on this trip are paved if you want.

So i had the mad idea to start thinking about the 12RS....i know it`s a heavy bike, and its not a GS, but i was reading too, a lot of threads or reviews, talking about unpaved roads and the 12RS and it seems to be fine....it`s cheaper than a GS and i like it.

Im asking here your opinions like 12RS owners, to know your point of view about this idea.

Im Crazy?

What can happens to the bike and me?

Thanks for your opinions.

And sorry for my english.

Fabian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2013, 4:21 am

Hi Fabian

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

I can't really comment about how good the K1200RS is off road as I have not done it myself. However a British round the world record holder called Nick Sanders has completed numerous journeys across all types of terrain on his Yamaha R1.
Have a look at this youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvhdr2ZCAQ

Mark
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2013, 4:24 am
Addict

Quote:
What can happens to the bike and me?
I nice Sexy KRS in good condition might get stolen!.

Compared to the GS the KRS hasn't got the same ground clearance and protection. The KRS ABS is permanently on so any wheel slippage on dirt will trip on the ABS warning. The KRS does not do so well in the bodywork department either if it has a tipover.

It all depends on how much off road unpaved and actual road conditions you will be riding on and whether you will get worried if a tipover ruins the paintwork and breaks the levers. Some of us have difficulty avoiding tipovers just pushing the bike out of the garage!

Other riders in those areas will have better comments.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2013, 8:29 am
Veteran

I donb't have a problem with most unpaved roads. All depending on the surface of course. Wouldn't get home anyway if I couldn't ride gravel.

Recently they churned the gravel when they came and graded the road. Took a few days for it to pack down again and of course it rained so lots of mud on my bike.

Coincidentally had to testride my friend's GS on that soft gravel at the same time. RS does just about as good if not slightly better.

I don't have a problem braking going down the big hills, mind you if you go down a little too fast and have to stop quick then you may problems. Just a matter of modulating the brakes, then you can stop. In similar fashion to pumping brakes on cars to stop on ice. Holding the brakes and trusting the ABS to stop you won't work. Do some practices first in someone's steep gravel driveway just so you are aware of the ABS peculiarities in such conditions.

Do I wish I could turn off the ABS on gravel roads? Sure do, may be my winter project that finding a way to switch it off and keep the servos going.

That's a heck of a big pig to turn around on narrow gravel roads when they are at the point where you can't go anymore. 6-7-8 point turns sometimes....

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2013, 6:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Him thanks for your repplies.
zxmark9r, cool example. I ll look their vids.
I've been readen a bit about Emilio Scotto too, his Honda Gold Wing, and his 2 trips around the globe.

I supose the Goldwind is much heavier than the RS, and the ride position is more vertical too.

The R1 one seems lighter than the RS, but the driving position seems similar.

I didnt knew voxmagna that the ABS is a fixed feature....mmm. i've ridden a 1200GS this year with the ABS engaged in unpaved roads and it was strange but fine, i dont know if the ABS type is the same bult in the 12RS.

I know stolen figure is a bad figure, but may be i can turn it a bit uglier, with decals.....and dirt!!...

I was even thinking, to make it a little naked, and to ship the body panels to my country to have them at the end of the trip.
I know, if you take off some fairing parts, you left another parts exposed, and you loose wind protection, and maybe i need to find news front turn signal fixing points...it`s a little crazy, but doable..needs a good analisys of pros and cons. Thing that i cant do now, because i don`t know this kind of details about the bike...

Another think that its important is the weight. How do you feel your bike in slow riding?

It's too dificult to pick it up if the bike has fallen on it's side?. Imagine that you are on a slow situation, bad road, and you fall at slow speed.

Another thoughts that can help on that decision?

Even it they seems not veery important ones, they are welcome.

Thanks for your reading.

Fabian
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2013, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

H96669 you give me hope with your daily experience. Yes!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2013, 4:27 pm
MIK

I have taken my K12GT to places I probably shouldn't. Rode it through deep puddles and water crossings, dropped it in the deep sand on a snowmobile trail in Maine, rode hundreds of miles on dirt roads (packed dirt mostly).

It is a heavy bike, but it handles packed dirt/gravel just like any other street bike. I'd rather not take it on a loose stuff (deep sand or deep gravel). It is not easy on a lighter bike but just crazy on that heavy pig.

Picking it up is not difficult if you use proper technique. I picked my bike up in the sand by myself without an issue. However, if you get one with side cases, the plastic rails the cases mounted on can snap quite easily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode