BMW top case fell off - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2013, 7:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

BMW top case fell off

I had an almost-new condition BMW top box until yesterday - pic attached.

I rode from Paris to London, sometimes very fast, with no problems. At Heathrow airport my pillion put his helmet back in the box, pressed the lid down to close it, and went to catch his plane. I got home 30 miles later and to my horror discovered the box had done a disappearing trick.

It wasn't overloaded, it contained a lock, helmet, gloves and child's jacket. I made sure I secured the claw properly, as I am aware this can cause problems. The attaching lock was also locked.

I have absolutely no idea how this happened, but I thought I'd flag it up in case anyone might benefit from the info, or have a suggestion as to what happened, or found it by the side of the A406. I'm really pissed off. If you own this box - NEVER put anything valuable in it!!

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/newthr...ewthread&f=42#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 13.28.13.png
Views:	71
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	14778  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your lost gear. It sounds like you did everything right. This is rather troubling as part of the reason I added the 49L topcase to my K1300GT was as an additional safety measure for my kids (9 and 12) that ride on the back with me from time to time.

Thanks for letting us know about this as a reminder to have our passengers hold onto the handles and not rely on just the case behind them.

Hope your case and its contents find their way back to you.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2013, 4:20 am
Addict

I've had my Givi top box on at least 7 years and it has never fallen off. However, I do not use the unlock facility as it is wired and stays on the bike. I do check the side rail support bolts under the rack though, because they can work loose.

Do you take your box on and off the bike and think it may not have fully latched home?

Usually there are more problems reported of side case problems than the top cases. Fitting a safety cord gives peace of mind.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2013, 4:27 pm
Rookie

I had a system case fall of my K1200RS at the MotoGP races in Indianapolis. It was raining. In my haste to move quickly, I didn't properly latch the case to the mounts. The case fell off and slid down the road..... a real bonehead mistake.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2013, 12:07 pm
Addict

I had the same problem. I lost the "top box" and never found it. So, I bought a replacement. The way the top box attaches itself to the luggage grid is a very poor design. It does not matter if it is locked or not, it will come loose and fall off. The two "hooks" that swing under the luggage grid have thin rubber spacers. If these get deformed or work them selfs off, as they eventually will, there is enough play to allow the case to vibrate off.

I purchased a new one and use bungee cords to add security. These bungee cords have save the new cas from comming off several times. It comes loose but stays on the bike.

As I said before, the BMW design of the way these attach to the bike is the problem. If you have one, tie it down.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2013, 8:11 pm
Rookie

For the pile-o-money we shell out for these top cases, they should be designed to attach to the bike very securely. What's the point of having a lock on the dang thing if it can just shake itself loose!!

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2013, 4:45 am
Addict

Quite right!

My Givi top case has been fine, but I don't often take it off. A lid on my oem side case broke and hinged down whilst riding. My stuff stayed inside kept in by the elastic strap, but this was at night and I couldn't first figure out why the bike was handling so badly.

The early OEM side case lids seemed to have quite a weak molding attaching their strongarm latch mechanism. No good designing a gorilla latch if what it fixes to is weak!

I bought a pair of new deep lids and I could see they had made the plastic molding stronger.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2013, 8:52 pm
Enthusiast

My BMW top case came off on a rough road. Fortunately my girl was on the back. Her warning over the AutoCom was priceless! I have locked it on ever since with no repeat.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2014, 9:56 pm
cws

Must be one of those issues.... owner of the K12GT I'm buying had to replace his for the same reason, it just dropped off and he never found it. Replaced it with an aftermarket which is still on it and he reckons far more secure than the OEM topbox.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 7:05 am
Addict

The Givis with their side rail fixing kit have a higher spec. weight load than the oem anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode