Annoying indicator fault - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2013, 9:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Annoying indicator fault

The left rear indicator on my 1200rs has stopped working. It's not the bulb, I have tried 3 in there and tested them on the other side of the bike where they work fine. It's not the wiring from the indicator unit to the bullet connectors under the seat (accessed from the removable panel under the seat unit) as I have checked continuity with my multi meter. So it's somewhere further back. The right rear indicator works fine.

Anybody had this problem before and know a likely multiblock connector or an area where the wiring might have worn through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2013, 9:44 am
Veteran

I had problems with one of them. Look right in the socket, the "springy" + contact may not be out enough to contact with the bulb properly. You may need a little hook tool to pull it out a little. If I remember the ground is on the side and also may not make contact.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2013, 8:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
I had problems with one of them. Look right in the socket, the "springy" + contact may not be out enough to contact with the bulb properly. You may need a little hook tool to pull it out a little. If I remember the ground is on the side and also may not make contact.
Cheers, but checked this already. No voltage is coming down the cable. I need to know where to look for likely breaks, as otherwise it's a big fairing off and strip the loom job...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 8:36 am
Veteran

All the rear lights are plugged into the big connector on top of the subframe rail, R/H side.

From the manual for my year, looks like the blue/red wire is the left turn signal.I can't tell exactly with my bike I also have the BMW alarm and that is wired into the turn signals via an extra (???) connector on the L/H side.

I'll assume that you checked both wires independently???Not just the meter at both the turn signal wires only. Brown ground on its own to make sure it does go to ground. Then the + wire on its own with the meter/test light grounded at the battery.

Finding a broken wire could be an exercise in frustration....they are small 18GA and can easily break inside the casing.So check for power at the main connector under the seat. if you are lucky may only be a break in the short rear harness, you'd have to remove the tail to get at it, that's not too hard. Even luckier....some corrosion at the terminals on the same connector. I found a few greeny ones on my bike so I keep an eye out for that. There is a BMW service bulletin that recommends cleaning/lubing all the connectors on their bikes once a year. I'll settle for every couple years,I have some pretty good electrical lubes here.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode