HELP W/ AUX, FOG LIGHT INSTALLATION for 99-04 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2013, 1:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

HELP W/ AUX, FOG LIGHT INSTALLATION for 99-04 K1200GT

I had a long drive from MA to Montreal, Canada with my 2004 BMW K1200GT Majority of driving was in the night. While I notice that my low and high beam was very sufficient I noticed however that my low beam is not brightening up my close vision and I seriously need to install a fog light and driving light.
Those of you who have it can you please attach some info here, How to install? where to install? what type of light and etc.
Thank you in advance
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2013, 12:35 pm
Addict

Fit a decent low beam HID conversion kit first. Far less complicated than adding all those extra auxiliaries and wiring them up.

True wide and low fogs are not the way to go. In theory they are designed for use only in fog. After HIDing the low, your main and any other addon light will just get washed out by the bright HID. Stick to the 35 watt kits. Higher 45 watt (?) on the low may give problems for oncoming. Be aware that HID in snow can give more back scatter. Make sure your reflector and glass is clean inside and out.

Night will become day!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Oct 21st, 2013 at 12:41 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 2:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Fit a decent low beam HID conversion kit first. Far less complicated than adding all those extra auxiliaries and wiring them up.

True wide and low fogs are not the way to go. In theory they are designed for use only in fog. After HIDing the low, your main and any other addon light will just get washed out by the bright HID. Stick to the 35 watt kits. Higher 45 watt (?) on the low may give problems for oncoming. Be aware that HID in snow can give more back scatter. Make sure your reflector and glass is clean inside and out.

Night will become day!
Ant retailer that you may recommend.????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 5:50 am
Addict

Checkout Pirates Lair. Others will say which ones they fitted. Some have gone for DDM. I would avoid cheap offerings on Fleabay.

Decide your lamp color and what may or may not be legal in your State. Around 4K gets you close to tungsten, meaning it will better match your high beam and parking light attracting less attention.

I use a 6K bulb because I wanted to be seen better riding in daylight. But then I also modded the high beam and parking light for the same color (more work).

http://pirateslair.net/intro.htm
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...hting/HID-Kits

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 10:04 am
Enthusiast

I put a set of PIAA's driving lights On my 04GT. Right under the front cowl opening. Home made aluminum plates allowed me to bolt them directly onto the 2 bolts holding the cowl to the bottom of the small radiator, simple run to the handlebars for the switch. Also, the "Silverstar" brand of light bulbs available at any auto parts store make a huge difference without having to change anything on the bike.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 10:17 am
Addict

But Silverstar bulbs are overun and you will not get the 6000 hour life you get from a HID. Lazy riders do not want to keep getting their hands up inside the RS/GT headlamp assembly to change lamps, then worry about the headlamp ground wire burning out. Fewer watts mean less alternator load, marginally more mpg and power to the rear wheel . With a 35 watt HID you don't even have to worry about installing relays and the handlebar switch will not burn out, although it is wise to fit relays.

6000 hours is more than the life of the bike, fit and forget. My HIDs have been in 6 or 7 years and light up the same as the day I fitted them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode