Speedometer not working on New to me 2002 K12RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2013, 10:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Speedometer not working on New to me 2002 K12RS

I recently picked up another K12RS. Its a 2002.

The speedometer is not working. Is this a common issuse? if so, what is the most commen fix?

Brian in Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2013, 4:17 pm
Enthusiast

check the fuses

Not sure which one, but that's all I can think of with the info provided. Not a common issue at all.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2013, 8:33 pm
Veteran

Three posts with different electricals not working.I think they are related....All that stuff is grounded through the load shed relay. Ground comes through the starter and a dirty starter will give you them gremlins.

First I'll ask the usual question....DO YOU HAVE TWO GROUND WIRES ATTACHED TO THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE BATTERY? There HAS to be two of them.

Could be the relay itself also. Are you in a hurry? I may go inside my electrical "jack in the box" later this week, , my I-ABS warning relay is crapping out on me and I can do a few checks on the loadshed relay at the same time.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 2:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohalloran
Not sure which one, but that's all I can think of with the info provided. Not a common issue at all.
It's a common problem on older bikes. Bike year 2002 means it might not have the separate speedo sensor on top of the drive. Report back if you can see a black 'thingy' plugged in the top.

If you have the black thingy, then lift the seat, pull apart and clean every connector bullet you find tywrapped to the right side seat rail where water runs off the seat and makes them go green!

If you don't have the black thingy on the rear drive and your ABS is working fine without any flashing warning lamps, your problem with the speedo is most likely up front in the cockpit. Newer bikes use the ABS signals to drive the speedo.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2013, 2:06 am
Addict

The 02 is the first model to do away with the separate speedo drive and use the ABS ring instead.
I have lots of experience with dirty starter gremlins. The load shed relay earths through the starter and if the armature gets too dirty all sorts of problems occur.
In my case there were the following:
Head light flickering immediately after start up when the load shed relay had done its job
Indicators not working, or self canceling after 2 or 3 flashes when riding
Head light flickering around 3,750 revs
Speedo needle moving by itself while stationary at start up.
Failure to start. This was sorted in the short term by tapping the starter with a screw driver.
Eventual failure to run.

I had the fault diagnosed by a general auto electrician and it took him about 30 minutes to give me the bad news - the starter. By the book, removing the starter is a huge job requiring the complete dismantling of the drive, and raising the frame to remove the starter. Both H96669 and I (I was first mate) have come up with similar ways to remove the starter with out all the fuss.
If you have any of the above symptoms I would spend a little cash and get the electrics checked professionally. I spent countless frustrating hours searching for the fault only to have the shop find it literally in minutes.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2013, 6:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

It was the ABS/speedo sensor; replaced it,........speedo,cruises e ABS all work now
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2014, 1:30 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
It was the ABS/speedo sensor; replaced it,........speedo,cruises e ABS all work now
Yup! I had a crack in my rear sensor and it gave me fits especially when it was wet out. Replaced it and all was good. Had to replace my ABS unit a little later to so keep an eye on that also.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode