Problems after battery change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2013, 10:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

Problems after battery change

After replacing the existing battery with a PC680 ABS power assist, speedometer and rear tail light are now not functioning; everything else works fine.
Replaced the tail light bulb thinking that was the issue, no help so I took it into the BMW shop here in town. They hooked it up to the diagnostic computer but the communication between the bike and the computer fails. Has anyone seen this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:14 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasgr01
After replacing the existing battery with a PC680 ABS power assist, speedometer and rear tail light are now not functioning; everything else works fine.
Replaced the tail light bulb thinking that was the issue, no help so I took it into the BMW shop here in town. They hooked it up to the diagnostic computer but the communication between the bike and the computer fails. Has anyone seen this before?
You do NOT mention exact year and model, BUT in general most common error after replacing battery is: You forgot to attach BOTH black wire (ground) to battery negative.

The K1200RS (1997-2004) and the K1200GT (2003-2005) have a (1) large wire and (1) medium size wire - both black - attached to negative. Attempting to run or start bike when this is not done, can cause major damage to electronics...

ANOTHER thing to watch: not very common, but someone might have moved the large ABS connector - if not seated properly on Integral-ABS model (2002-2005 for USA), this will cause all kind of strange symptoms. See this post for pictures:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks. It's an 05 k1200gt. The negative has 3 black wires, the positive 2 red 1 white. When replacing the battery; negative came off first and on last. This is really strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 7:32 am
Addict

Quote:
Thanks. It's an 05 k1200gt. The negative has 3 black wires, the positive 2 red 1 white. When replacing the battery; negative came off first and on last. This is really strange.
What you described is NOT standard installation - normally only 2 fairly thick black on negative and 1 large red on positive. It does not mean something is bad, just that the previous owners has added some custom wiring for accessories (probably).

So, you could have 5 wires on the negative, 4 being from a bunch of custom stuff, and still missing one important large wire that should be there in the 1st place.

I do Not have enough info (without seeing the bike) to make a very specific diagnostic. Something else is not right obviously - maybe some other work was done on the bike ? Are you 100% sure that the bike had no other symptoms before the battery change ?

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

The third black negative is for the PIAA lights that were added by the previous owner. The reason for the battery change; was tending the battery daily and recently got stranded as the bike wouldn't turn over. The bike was running perfectly otherwise. I am double checking the fuses today. When installing the battery bracket I did briefly touch to positive terminal, very minor zap, but that should have zero affect in my mind unless I am way off on that.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 9:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

My largest concern, right or wrong, is that when the bike's diagnostic connector/plug is physically connected to the diagnostic computer at my local BMW shop, the connection fails with a Warning message, so I can't even have a diagnostic run to find out where the fault is. All pins on the plug look great, the ABS connector is fine. Head scratcher.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 10:00 am
Addict

Quote:
.... When installing the battery bracket I did briefly touch to positive terminal, very minor zap, but that should have zero affect in my mind unless I am way off on that.

I do NOT know why you omitted that info in your 1st post. Of course we are not in 1970 anymore... these machines with ECU (Motronic in this case) are more fragile with such mistake. In the past we had some members here doing the same mistake WITHOUT any ill effect - hope it is the same for you - but your symptoms do not give me any confidence.

In case you do not have the owners manual with you, see attached picture for list of fuses on the K1200GT (2003-2005). Do NOT assume anything with fuses as they sometimes have micro-fracture difficult to see - use OhmMeter to check or replace with known good fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Fuse_boxes_(2003-2005 with 16 fuses).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	14857  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 10:53 am
Addict

Quote:
I am re-reading your initial post on this in case I missed something...
Almost every item listed above are related directly or indirectly to either:
1) ABS-Unit
2) ABS rear wheel sensor

May sounds strange, but the rear bulb is monitored by the ABS-unit on these "Integral-ABS" models (sometimes called ABS3).

Did you check that link I gave you on my 1st post above to make sure the ABS-Connector is well seated.
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=10

You should also check the ABS rear-wheel sensor connector under seat, neat black sub-frame tube (just behind battery). See attached picture...

I am shocked (being polite) that a BMW dealer could not do anything more creative than just plug his diagnostic computer. He should have checked everything I just described in my post(s) here - assuming you gave them the same symptoms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_ABS-sensor_Rear-wheel.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	14865  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:34 am
Veteran

Quote:
My largest concern, right or wrong, is that when the bike's diagnostic connector/plug is physically connected to the diagnostic computer at my local BMW shop, the connection fails with a Warning message, so I can't even have a diagnostic run to find out where the fault is. All pins on the plug look great, the ABS connector is fine. Head scratcher.
One of the pins at the diagnostic connector is a ground. Can you check that just to see if it does go to ground? The brown wire...no ground there and the diagnostic tool sure would show some error message/no connection.

Just following the Clymer's diagram for now and full of errors anyway, but they seem to show that ground path on the same path as the other "non-functioning" systems such as the tail light.

But who knows how BMW wired the grounds and spliced them inside the harness. What I know is that one of the battery grounds is a bunch of brown wires/systems grounds all brought back to the battery. 7-8 of them brown wires. And on my bike the casing was breaking up close to the battery, left unchecked could easily have been one of them small 18ga grounds breaking and giving me all sorts of gremlins.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:48 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
But who knows how BMW wired the grounds and spliced them inside the harness. What I know is that one of the battery grounds is a bunch of brown wires/systems grounds all brought back to the battery. 7-8 of them brown wires. And on my bike the casing was breaking up close to the battery, left unchecked could easily have been one of them small 18ga grounds breaking and giving me all sorts of gremlins.
Hi Pierre,
Did you take a picture of this just before the repair of the main ground wire - it is sometimes difficult to explain these things here in text. I know what it looks like, but sometimes having a picture will help someone else... Thanks!

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode