Kendon Trailer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Kendon Trailer

I want to trailer my K RS and I am 99% set on buying a Kendon single bike trailer.

Anybody with first hand knowledge on this trailer, please tell me if it's possible to load and unload a 650 lb KRS by one person w/o someone else's help.

I like the Kendon because it stands up to store and takes up little space in the garage.

I am also looking at the Razor trailer, which is made to load and unload by one person by dropping the trailer bed to ground level. But it doesn't stand up for storage, it takes up as much space as a car in the garage.

What I really need is a KendonRazor Trailer. I haven't seen one of those yet.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:10 pm
Veteran

While I haven't used the Kendon trailer, a good buddy of mine who has a K1200RS uses one often.. and yes.. it is a one man operation for him. He also likes the stand-up feature. It is VERY well made.

For what it's worth.. speaking as a trailer guy myself..Having owned both open and enclosed, if you can afford it... get an enclosed trailer. There are so many more benefits... weather protection, safety for your bike, storage for all your crap/gear, and a place for the impromptu naked roadside nooner parties or camping, etc..

I paid $2100 for mine with ultra-low foofoo cushy suspention, ride up ramp, vents, lighting, etc.. Woth every penny. My 2 cents.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:54 am
Addict

Trailer in style

This is a very modest trailer for $ 275,000. Plus $100,000 for a tractor.

I tour the USA with this rig. It's a class room I use to teach about hydraulics and computers that control the system.

I bought a new K1200RS in 2002 so I would have some way of getting around and have some fun. Now I have an 04 K1200 RS.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Training Trailer.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	1704  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Thumbs up Kendon Trailer

I own a single bike Kendon; I load and unload my GT by myself but feel it is much safer with help. My biggest problem was getting it to back over the flip flop wheel chock while un loading. I removed the f-f wheel chock and made unloading the bike much easier and have not noticed any problems with out it. Very well made trailer and have got a lot of comments on how nice it looks.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbm4
I own a single bike Kendon; I load and unload my GT by myself but feel it is much safer with help. My biggest problem was getting it to back over the flip flop wheel chock while un loading. I removed the f-f wheel chock and made unloading the bike much easier and have not noticed any problems with out it. Very well made trailer and have got a lot of comments on how nice it looks.
With the f-f taken off, how does the bike stay upright? So you can make the first two ties.

When you load the bike, do you ride it, do you walk beside it, do you use the engine to power it up? How do you do it?

Ditto for taking off the trailer

Thanks,

Ron
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Kendon Trailer

I push the bike on and off; I have used the bikes power while walking it on the trailer but prefer to push. I place soft ties around both forks just above the fender then hook straps to the forward trailer position( straps are adjusted to approx.lenght) I push bike into position grab the left strap and put through the left soft tie on the fork, then put a little tension on the strap to keep bike from falling to the right, go to the right side place strap on the soft tie and adjust straps accordingly to place bike in up right position. I believe the bike will fall over if just placed in the f-f chock with no straps. Having the hinch height correct so the trailer is level will help when loading also, it's not easy by yourself but can be done with some planing
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbm4
I push the bike on and off; I have used the bikes power while walking it on the trailer but prefer to push. I place soft ties around both forks just above the fender then hook straps to the forward trailer position( straps are adjusted to approx.lenght) I push bike into position grab the left strap and put through the left soft tie on the fork, then put a little tension on the strap to keep bike from falling to the right, go to the right side place strap on the soft tie and adjust straps accordingly to place bike in up right position. I believe the bike will fall over if just placed in the f-f chock with no straps. Having the hinch height correct so the trailer is level will help when loading also, it's not easy by yourself but can be done with some planing
OK, thanks for the info. I believe you when you say it's not easy single handedly.

Ron
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:18 am

See this thread from the archive as well.....I've got some thoughts about the 2-place kendon discussed in it....

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...=&view=&sb=&o=

Rich
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfespinosa
OK, thanks for the info. I believe you when you say it's not easy single handedly.

Ron
I owned the Kendon for two seasons. It's inexpensive. Stores easily and I can tell you that the trailer tows extremely well, when going forward. It's light and is located close to the towing vehicle. But because of this, backing up is a more difficult task. When there is no bike on the trailer forget it all together. The trailer jacknifes too easily backing up.
The worst feature of this trailer is the loading. You may convince yourself it isn't dangerous, but it's very dangerous. One man may be able to do it sometimes, but even with two it's a struggle. My advice is, don't buy the Kendon. Get something that can be loaded safely by one person.
After experimenting with a variety of trailers I bought a Charriot trailer made in FL. It's much larger than the average trailer but the quality is best in the field. You can install a chock on the front and load with zero problems. Simply ride the bike on the trailer, directly onto the chock. Get off. Tie it down and drive into the sunset.
The other option is the Baxely trailer with their chock pre-installed. Actually the trailer and chock are desinged around each other. For a smaller trailer the Baxely would be my choice.
I reularly trailer my bikes between MA and VT, towed behing an SUV. I also haul a large boat trailer towed by a 1 ton truck.
Have you considered whether you want a single or double trailer? Good luck. Hope this helps.
Vlad

Last edited by vlad; Feb 7th, 2006 at 10:50 am. Reason: add some info
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:39 am

I'm with Pirate on this one, as I've got an enclosed trailer too.

Put a wheel chock in the front of the trailer and ride the bike into it. Put down the sidestand and connect a tiedown on the left side with a little slack. Attach the right side tiedown and straighten the bike upright. Put a couple of extra tiedowns on the rear and your set to go. Check the tiedowns at the first gas stop.

You'll never have to worry about safety for your bike if you don't have anything on the exterior that would give a hint as to what's inside. There will also be plenty of room for your riding gear and motorcycle luggage. In a pinch you could throw a matt and sleeping bag back there and take a snooze, providing your trailer had a door that would lock from the inside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode