2003 GT Switchgear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2013, 5:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

2003 GT Switchgear

My 2003 K1200GT came with neither a heated seat or heated handgrips. Since I am in Thailand, I don't miss either one of them very much. But since I live in Thailand where riding a big-bike (Thai speak) is taking your life in your own hands with the driving practices here, I have decided to add some lighting to make myself more visible. I have been looking into obtaining a right handswitch set from a bike with the heated package to give myself some factory switches that I can use to drive a relay(s) for the additional lighting.

Does anyone know if I would have any problems swapping out the switch set for my existing switches and using them in the way I was intending?

As well, I have seen referencex to a switch set for a bike with an "on-board computer". Was that for the GPS or something else? I if were to obtain one of these, would that give me three sets of auxilliary switches to use as I see fit?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2013, 7:36 am

The GT right switch assembly will fit perfectly on the RS. The only difference between the two is that the GT assembly has the seat switch of course and 2 extra wires coming out of it. You can use the 2 extra wires and switch for whatever you want of course.
You'll need to take all the tupperware and gas tank off to access the wires that run from the hand set down into the right side of the bike and connection boxes under the right side of the tank. From there you can run the wires to the back/front for power and your lights.
It's not a hard task to do but definitely a PIA task.
Hope that helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2013, 11:22 am

HID Conversion

Hi

Have you thought about HID dipped headlight conversion. It would be much easier to do.

Here is a link to my original post:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26062

I am really pleased with it.

Regards

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2013, 6:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the feedback.

I was expecting to have to go into the connection box. I would wait until I needed to go under the tupperware for another reason because it is such a PITA! At least I know now that it wouldn't be a lot of work for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest
The GT right switch assembly will fit perfectly on the RS. The only difference between the two is that the GT assembly has the seat switch of course and 2 extra wires coming out of it. You can use the 2 extra wires and switch for whatever you want of course.
You'll need to take all the tupperware and gas tank off to access the wires that run from the hand set down into the right side of the bike and connection boxes under the right side of the tank. From there you can run the wires to the back/front for power and your lights.
It's not a hard task to do but definitely a PIA task.
Hope that helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2013, 6:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I have already done the HID conversion on the low beam. I found that it wasn't as beneficial as I thought it would be as a lot of the scooters here have HID and the cars/pickups are used to them just moving out of the way. Most of the scooters drive at slower speeds along the side of the road.

I want to do like this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cQE5Zm0...%3DcQE5Zm018H8, but in addition to tying the lights into the horn actuation, I want to be able to actuate via switch when I get in a traffic situation where I am concerned that some car may try to move over into me while trying to get around another car. That happens a lot here. Defensive driving is definately the rule, but making yourself more obvious certainly doesn't hurt. It helps that the local drivers suspect that I might be a cop as a lot of the motorcycle cops drive BMWs and my AeroStitch looks like a uniform. The strobes will just them one more reason to think that I am a cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmark9r
Hi

Have you thought about HID dipped headlight conversion. It would be much easier to do.

Here is a link to my original post:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26062

I am really pleased with it.

Regards

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode