04 K1200GT Fairings - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2013, 8:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

04 K1200GT Fairings

Ok search has kicked my butt on finding it. Bike is starting to run hot at idle. Did not do this till a few weeks ago. Want to inspect the radiators and check fans. And is there any instructions on this board as to proper way to remove all the fairings to get to look, and clean the radiators if needed. And test fans. Already checked the fuses and no problem there.

2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2013, 10:23 am
Addict

Actually its pretty straight forward if you have worked on Beemers before. Best to get a Clymer book, shows all fasteners and color pictures. It is time consuming but really doable. After 10 years the radiator should have been flushed a few times regardless of milage. Then there are the hoses and thermostat that need a looking at if not replaced. The clymer book in invaluable. Max BMW has an online parts fich, but thats just for part diagrams. I sold my '04 GT last year and have the Clymer manual that is in pretty good condition-few smudges on some pages and hand written notes here and there. Its pretty heavy and don't know how much it would cost to mail it to you. If you want it, name me a price including shipping and pm me. Phil I'm in zip 94903.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
Actually its pretty straight forward if you have worked on Beemers before. Best to get a Clymer book, shows all fasteners and color pictures. It is time consuming but really doable. After 10 years the radiator should have been flushed a few times regardless of milage. Then there are the hoses and thermostat that need a looking at if not replaced. The clymer book in invaluable. Max BMW has an online parts fich, but thats just for part diagrams. I sold my '04 GT last year and have the Clymer manual that is in pretty good condition-few smudges on some pages and hand written notes here and there. Its pretty heavy and don't know how much it would cost to mail it to you. If you want it, name me a price including shipping and pm me. Phil I'm in zip 94903.
Thanks, have gotten the book. Just bought the bike a couple of months ago. So all probably needs to be replaced. Did not know if there was better hands on ways to take things off or not. Do appreciate it.

2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Addict

Just go for it. Little tip-BMW uses several different lengths of bolts on fairing panels.To avoid confusion and frustration when putting them back on try this. Get a decent sized piece of cardboard. Sketch a drawing of the panel you are about to remove. Then take the bolt you have just removed and punch it thru the cardboard in the appropiate position on the sketch. Trust me, it will save your blood pressure when you get almost done and find left over bolts or one that is too long or short to fit. IIRC, the large side panels have fasteners and tabs (2 for each side on the top). After removing the bolts gently pull the bottom of the panel out and push down on the top to release the tabs. They are pretty robust and wont break. Oh, some panel pieces also just have a slot that just slide onto a nipple. Good for me, now remembering more stuff. If you are going to remove the front cowl, after removing various mounting points and trim pieces, cowl is held on the sides of the headlight bucket with tabs. With the cowel loose put your thumbs on either sides of the headlight and pull the cowl straight back-towards you to release. Just take your time and take union breaks.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2013, 6:33 pm
Enthusiast

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k1200rs/fairing/
Found this useful, the first time I had to remove my GT fairing. The only difference between the GT and the RS id that you have to remove the upper "Hand" wings first and the very bottom screw on the rubber leg protectors to remove the belly pan. I gave up along time ago, trying to reach in under the cowl to change headlight bulbs. It is must less frustrating to just remove the upper wings and remove the cowl. As to getting hot. Make sure radiator is clean and "burp" the system for any air bubbles in the coolant passages. Changing coolant is not overly difficult.

Keeping bolts straight is pretty easy. Shorter bolts are for one layer of plastic to frame and longer bolts are for more layers.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2013, 7:53 pm
Noob

Coolings Fans

If you have a friend that has a GS-911, then there is a fan test function that would cycle the fans so that you wouldn't have to remove the tupperware to see if they are working properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pab3rd
Ok search has kicked my butt on finding it. Bike is starting to run hot at idle. Did not do this till a few weeks ago. Want to inspect the radiators and check fans. And is there any instructions on this board as to proper way to remove all the fairings to get to look, and clean the radiators if needed. And test fans. Already checked the fuses and no problem there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode