2003 K1200RS Questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2013, 10:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2003 K1200RS Questions

Hi all, Im looking at a 2003 K1200RS and thought some fine folks here could chime in with some things to ask the seller about the bike. It's a 2003 , excellent condition with about 8K on the odometer. Now to me, thats not very many miles in 10 years. So, what are some things i need to look for and ask. thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2013, 2:45 am
Veteran

On a 10 year old bike with only 8,000 miles the list is long! you have to consider when those miles were put on, all in the first couple years? or spread out during those 10 years.
The first question would be how and when those miles were put on.
Oil changes, when and how often.
Brake fluid change, when and how often.
Battery,on a tender? ever been replaced?
Tires dry rot?
Bike stored in a climate controlled setting and where is the bike located and weather conditions for that area.
Conditions of brake lines?
Critters living under the fairings?
There are so many things to look for in a bike that old with very little miles on it. If all the miles were put on in the early years and the bike was just thrown in a garage I would pass unless it is shown that the oil was changed even when miles were not put on and that at the very least the bike was road yearly a few hundred miles. how much is the asking price?.....Just a couple items that are a very common issue with these bikes will put it over the KBB range, clutch,due to main shaft o ring failure and servo and ABS unit failure will cost in the ball park of $3,500. Those two issues WILL happen,when? any time, could be tomorrow or it could be a couple years.

Last edited by BAK04GT; Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:04 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 9:14 am

All of the things BAK said of course.
I would figure a new battery and tires regardless. Probably also figure fuel line disconnect replacements unless they've been done.
Final drive service/replacement - look at rear boot, is it dirty, oily or look clean?
When I look at older bikes or cars, I always look at the undersides, bolts, connections, hoses, etc. Are items really rusty all around, normally rusty or nice and clean. The amount of deterioration is one of the best indicators
How the miles are put on is important but the low mileage doesn't scare me. My 03 only has 10K on it. It gets ridden at least once or twice a week so the mileage and such have been ongoing. I have multiple bikes so I switch between them. All get ridden, none get massive miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:37 pm
Noob

You referring to the black RS at BMW Bhm? I saw it last week, very nice, not a scratch on it per-se....
Its a bit scary though, it must have been parked for years, not preferrable for any make/brand. My dad has an 83 v45 magna with 10k. its been ridden twice since mid 90s and both times the tank & carbs had to be cleaned big-time. I guess he wants to be buried with it...sheesh
There are 2 more at pandoras with less than 20k, cheaper also, but didnt see any side cases in the photos.
Good luck to ya brian... in MGM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2014, 5:33 pm
Addict

Don't let the low miles put you off. Make sure the fuel line quick disconnects are metal and not plastic fittings. This last point is an easy fix for a bone-headed decision BMW made. If a QD fails, expect some amount of gas to unload onto the engine and into the "tupperware". Not a good thing and worse if the engine and exhaust are hot. Since it appears you're looking at a bike at a dealer, I'd just include updating the QD's as part of the dear. Other than that, if you're good with the price, have a good time with a great bike!

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode