Noob looking at RS's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 9:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

Noob looking at RS's

First timer, owner of 02 1150RT (194k mi and counting) looking at a local 03 K1200RS w/7800 mi. Not a scratch on it! Dealer/consignment sale asking $7995 which is high but its winter, and "money talks" right?
From what I gather, its the unseen that could prove troubling. Seals, bearings, hoses, abs pump.
There are 2 more 03-04 K's within an hour and have around 20k or less on the od, but ill at least test ride the local unit this week.
Any advice from the k-experts?
Thank you for any input..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 9:51 am
Enthusiast

Should be a trouble free bike for the most part and a whole different animal than your RT. Usual culprits for trouble are the quick disconnects in the fuel line, used to remove the tank. The plastic one break very easily and if fuel s sprayed on a hot engine the least is a permanent discolorment of the metal engine casings to a worst case fire. Easy and inexpensive to swap out for metal ones

Final drive and rear main seals can happen. Look for oil at the end of the drive shaft housing and the junction of the transmission housing and engine.

No way to predict an ABS failure. I believe they are talked about more than happens. Due to the outrageous price to replace the ABS pump.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2014, 5:41 pm
Addict

Uh, that's $2000 over the Kelly Blue Book retail price for a good condition bike in Birmingham, AL. Not knowing where in AL you are, I picked that location. KBB prices vary with location. Anyway, I'd say the consigner is living in Fantasyland.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 8:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

$2k, ? dang, i didn't research that. I had the k12 fever for a few days after sitting on that one. I better use some sense and stick with my RT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode