THAT was not a ride I want to repeat any time soon! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 6:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation THAT was not a ride I want to repeat any time soon!

This is my first post an I'm looking forward to getting to know you and the occasional ride-out.

After a 12 year break from riding - I picked up my 70k miler 2000 K1200 RS yesterday. Oh dear what a day to be saddled with a 150 mile ride in the torrential rain. The last 15 mile of which looked like this:

[/IMG]

and this:

But I don't regret my decision for a moment. My first commute today from Tunbridge Wells to Trafalgar Square in just over an hour, and unlike the train, I managed to get a seat the whole way.

Anyone got any thoughts on why my heated grips don't work (neither of them on either setting). They would have been VERY useful yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 7:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

I should add a few quick follow up Q's

1: Rear tire is a bit squared off. Maintenance history is very exacting though. Any thoughts on riding on squared tires. TBH it feels pretty squirmy when maneuvering.

2: The bike is fitted with a professionally fitted ABS by pass. Why would somebody do that? I'd never ridden a bike with ABS before so I don't feel I'm losing out as long as it's otherwise safe. Is this deeply weird / concerning?

3: The one thing I need most is an iPhone holder / bracket. Any suggestions?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 1:25 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by misternomer
This is my first post an I'm looking forward to getting to know you and the occasional ride-out.

After a 12 year break from riding - I picked up my 70k miler 2000 K1200 RS yesterday. Oh dear what a day to be saddled with a 150 mile ride in the torrential rain. The last 15 mile of which looked like this:

But I don't regret my decision for a moment. My first commute today from Tunbridge Wells to Trafalgar Square in just over an hour, and unlike the train, I managed to get a seat the whole way.

Anyone got any thoughts on why my heated grips don't work (neither of them on either setting). They would have been VERY useful yesterday.
About your heated grips NOT working:
you will get some good tips to troubleshoot this if you read a post (with detailled pictures included) on the other K1200 forum:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=498255&postcount=7

P.S.: Congratulations on your new K1200RS, but please next time check the weather report forecast before such a ride ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm
Addict

Hi and welcome.

Once you get through the next couple of months of bad U.K weather, things will soon pick up. There are many 'careful owners' who won't even take their Beemer out in rain! These bikes are made to be ridden.

Quote:
2: The bike is fitted with a professionally fitted ABS by pass. Why would somebody do that?
The ABS pump module costs a horrendous and disproportionate amout of money to replace when faulty. Particularly for an older bike with a lower write down value. Somebody has therefore bypassed the hydraulic unit. But they must also have disabled the dash warning lamp and relay which clicks away. In addition, if the speedo is working normally, they have left the ABS electronics in place on the bike. I doubt that a professional BMW shop would have done the bypass work as it is frowned on by the mothership and probably U.K insurance companies once declared.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 3:06 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Hi and welcome.
I doubt that a professional BMW shop would have done the bypass work as it is frowned on by the mothership and probably U.K insurance companies once declared.
This little gem is entertaining on so many levels.. thanks. made my day.

Who do you think supplies the parts that are required to perform this bypass?

BMW.

Insurance won't care. Unless your crashing history is epic.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 3:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
P.S.: Congratulations on your new K1200RS, but please next time check the weather report forecast before such a ride ;-)
Thanks Sailor. I'm afraid I just didn't have a choice on this occasion. It was an eBay purchase and a strict condition of the sale was that the bike had to be picked up immediately. On the plus side - it did inspire to watch The Long Way Round when got home and dry!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 4:56 pm

Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Good to see a fellow all weather biker
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Sat Nav Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misternomer
I should add a few quick follow up Q's

1: Rear tire is a bit squared off. Maintenance history is very exacting though. Any thoughts on riding on squared tires. TBH it feels pretty squirmy when maneuvering.

2: The bike is fitted with a professionally fitted ABS by pass. Why would somebody do that? I'd never ridden a bike with ABS before so I don't feel I'm losing out as long as it's otherwise safe. Is this deeply weird / concerning?

3: The one thing I need most is an iPhone holder / bracket. Any suggestions?
Hi

I have fitted two different sat nav set ups to my K1200RS:

1) I drilled through the windscreen (I have got a spare shiny new screen in the garage) and secured a bracket there just above the clocks for an old Garmin street pilot 3, the GPS is easy to see and stays nice and dry.

2) I used a bit of 22mm copper pipe between the comfort handle bar mounts, flattened the ends, drilled and bolted the pipe to the handle bar mounts, sprayed black and attached a waterproof case which came with a handle bar mount.

I am unable to upload any photos, but could possible email you a couple.

Other options are:
a) You can buy a bracket that attaches to either the brake or clutch fluid reservoir.
b) A substantial BMW bracket that goes around the top yoke.
c) One Ingenious Forum member managed to fabricate a bracket that fitted in the fork stem mount, however in our bike there is only a couple of millimetres under the cap, therefore a normal fork stem mount will not fit/work
d) You could buy a tank bag with a built in sat nav holder, fitting could be awkward.

Hope this is of use.

Mark

PS I had a interesting ride out today, with lots of puddles, but none quite as big as yours!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2014, 3:30 pm
Noob

We had the storm surge prior to Christmas up North so we know just what you Southern folk are suffering now!
Junk the square tyres and put on Michelin Road 3's - best wet tyre by far and excellent wear rate too.
Welcome misternomer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2014, 8:05 pm
Enthusiast

'used' ABS set

I no longer remember the mileage at which my ABS 'clutches' failed internally. I priced a new piece and immediately pursued a used unit from a dismantler private party (I think Jerry Finley at Pirates Laire gave me a lead there, this was before the days of flEbay etc.) I think I spent about $400 at the time (at least 8 years ago), and had my dealer install it when I had it in for a 'warranty' fix on a seal job they had done. I would have tackled the job myself if didn't know they would be 'in there' already. New the unit was around $1500 USD at the time, I believe it is $2000 USD now. The bike has great brakes, and obviously many bikes exist without such a safety device as ABS. But, it is a very effective unit. If you can source a used one and have it installed or install it yourself, it would be of benefit, especially in your climate. It is not a bike that would normally be ridden to its extreme by someone that is better at the limit than the system, so I am inclined to believe that the ABS unit failed and was bypassed. If it were me, I would get the ABS up and running.

Have Fun with this....BTW...mine is the same year and color as yours, a bit more worn, though.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode