Charging problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2014, 7:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Charging problem

Hi, please help me with this:

My bike starts all the morning without problem, but after some minutes if i turn off the engines, then dont start, the starter trŪes but dont have the power to spin the engine, i check with a multimeter the Charging voltaje and is 13.6, 13.4 v with light and heated grips on, then i replaced with a new battery and the same problem, after some minutes running if i stop the engine then dont start, i check with the multimeter the battery volts and is 12.2 but seems like dont have amps .
Then my previous battery is ok

The bike when starts feels like no volts in the battery when cold stop, the engine dont add revs until reach temp.
The abs blink all the time. Like low battery
The gear gauge reads 6 gear when is on first

All this happened after i sent to a shop to replace the clutch

Last time when i replace the clutch bymyself, i have an issue with the ground cable to starter, but now im lost
Please gave me your advice

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 3:45 am
Addict

You should check that when they put the bike back together and you changed batteries, that BOTH black ground wires were connected to the battery negative terminal post. The black frame ground may have slipped down behind the battery case and got forgotten, meaning you may be taking the starter current through the loom. Check the frame ground is attached to one of the large bolts on the clutch housing near to the starter and to the battery terminal.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 8:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your answer
Yes, that is the first that i double check

What is the Charging volt ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 8:53 am
Veteran

Charging should be around 14.3V. You can try without a load on such as the grips and headlight but that's a pretty strong alternator so shouldn't change the charging voltage much...loaded or not.

Old battery OK and new one also??? That we wouldn't know unless they are tested properly. I had brand new batteries in years past that wouldn't take a charge and just bought myself a fancy battery tester to stop the guessing.

What year is that bike??? Not a good idea trying to start them with a low battery, that may fuse the starter relay.

Bike had some work done???....next time I go in there I'll check the alternator, that's pretty easy and maybe they should have. That's the only way to get that one out, coincidental with a clutch job or such.

Blue wire connected at the alternator??? That's the "exciter" wire. You are talking about the other lights but does the "charging" light come on when you turn on the ignition? As it should???

I don't know what BMW has done with them Ks but on the earlier Rs the charging light is part of the circuit. Burned bulb = no charging.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 10:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

I already test with 4 diferent batteries, all do the same

my bike is 1998

the charging bulb dont start
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 11:52 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardocastrejon
I already test with 4 diferent batteries, all do the same

my bike is 1998

the charging bulb dont start

No charge/battery light coming on when you turn on the ignition???? I'd start there for sure, it is a BMW after all.

I checked the diagrams and the blue wire from the alternator is wired into the charge bulb. And if like the older BMWs that wire is the "exciter" wire to the alternator, kicks it into action.

Wire disconnected OR burned bulb and it won't charge.

I went out to my freezing shop and disconnected the blue wire, as I tought the charge light won't come on when switching the ignition on. I can't start my bike right now but I can almost bet that the alternator won't charge if the wire is disconnected or the bulb removed from the circuit.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 1:07 pm Thread Starter
Noob

problem solved

thanks for your help

I replaced the ground cable from frame to battery with a new one

now is charging 14. v, with lights, and heated grips 13.93v.

abs is pefect again, all is working,

this is the third time that this cable make a trouble, but different problems anytime

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...0&page=2&pp=10

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18563

regards
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 6:18 pm
Enthusiast

I am happy to read that you were able to fix the problem by installing a new ground cable. I hope this is incidental to the work your dealer performed. I will be moving to SMA in a couple years and they will be my dealer, so I hope they have high standards. Happy riding!

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2014, 12:07 pm
Addict

The frame ground wire is so big they do not fail!

However, leaving the ground wire off the frame bolt or battery terminal, will stop it working!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode