Fork seal help please - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 12:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Fork seal help please

Hi Have just started to strip out forks as seals are leaking again on a 2004 RS. bike has only covered 16k since last fork seal leak, both Stanchions are in good condition and top bushes were replaced last time (do I need to change lower ones if so how?). Ride is on the soft side could it be the damper/spring.

any advise please ..........................many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 8:25 am
Veteran

The forks on them are basically only a set of sliders. No springs or anything to do with dampening. And the oil in there only acts as a lube for the tubes and nylon bushings.And only on some models the nylon bushings as per Clymer, I don't think my 03 has any of them but I could be wrong, I didn't have to replace the top bushing.

One softer than the other??? Then I'd think the harder one is binding somehow or maybe the oil passage in the tube is plugged??? Easy to pull them out and check if they are straight and passage is clear.

Leaking again after new seals??? Did you by any chance extend the suspension all the way as in to remove the front shock or such? When I do that on my bike it seems to pull oil above the seals and then if not wiped out will certainly look like a leak. As a matter of fact just had to remove/install the Ohlins and sort of forgot to pull the dust cap and check. Another thread on that reminded me....pulled the dust seal and did find oil.Wiped it off and I am sure my near new seals won't leak.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2014, 4:36 pm
Rookie

Fork Seal replacement

Had the same problem 6 years ago. Replaced the fork seals with "LeakProof" seals, Motovan part #s 155-128 Fork Seal Kit, 36x57x10mm and 157-139 Dust Seal Only Kit KTM SX G5 02-07 (ref. Goallballs.com) @ $30 total. Have been dry as a bone ever since. This is a source I used back in my Enduro days, 25 years ago. LeakProof seals do what they say!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode