Side Stand Extender K1200GT Classic - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 7:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Side Stand Extender K1200GT Classic

Hi Guys, I've got a 2005 Classic K1200GT and am having some trouble with the short side stand and small 'footprint' of it on the ground with the danger of sinking in. I use a side stand puck of course but it's sometimes difficult trying to hold the bike up whilst placing the plastic pad in the right place on cambers or uneven ground. Does anyone know of a side stand extender or add-on foot attachment please-I know it's not the serious sort of problem that people seek help on here for, but it's certainly winding me up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 8:26 pm
Veteran

I made my own out of 1/8" steel plate. Two small countersunk bolts from the bottom up and some nylox nuts.

I just didn't want to spend $40.00+shipping. These guys have some:

http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories....ements_c18.htm

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2014, 12:23 am
Addict

Have you tried to google it. Several companies make a foot attachment that is larger .

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2014, 7:55 am
Addict

This foot from Wunderlich works like a charm on my K1200RS.

Do not extend the side stand. That way lies unhappy tip-overs and garage rash.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection Wunderlich or Wunderlich America save as a customer.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2014, 1:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

many thanks

I am very much obliged for the replies regarding this, I did try Googling but there was confusion with people thinking I meant the later K1200.good advice re not extending it I guess! This should sort it now and thanks again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2014, 4:04 pm
Addict

First you need to check the amount of up/down movement on the sidestand. The bushes can get worn and give so much play that it sets the bike down low when on the stand.

I made my side stand length adjustable by cutting off their foot with an angle grinder, found some steel tube a nice fit over their stand tube and welded some plate larger than their foot on the bottom. With the sliding tube I can drill a hole straight through and fit a cotter pin at whatever position I want for length.

You have to be careful with the foot size and profile shape to clear the exhust can and frame when in the up position.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 3:13 am
Rookie

if all you want is a 'foot' - motorworks sell one specifically for the RS/GT. its not very cheap though, admittedly it IS a bargain compared to the price of repairing scuffed paintwork.. or horror: cracked plastic. alternatively. if you're the type that likes to farkle. 'Hornig' make one thats a lot cheaper - If, just as an example - you don't like the mirrors on your bike - perhaps like me they're less effective than they should be because half of their width is obscured by your shoulders - then Hornig produce neat little extenders that aren't exactly expensive - but work really well. so to make ordering the side stand foot cheaper - order both. I'm really impressed by Hornig - delivery is fast from their base near the czech border and postage isn't extortionate. best of all they accept paypal. so no messing about with bank transfers or sending euros. (usual - no connection disclaimers apply)

see this page for Hornig - http://tinyurl.com/p999ngy
and this - for the motorworks item - http://tinyurl.com/nknlbvr

Last edited by Motobiker; Mar 15th, 2014 at 3:20 am.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Many Thanks

Thanks again for your help- really appreciate it and the trouble and detail you have gone to. If you are ever in Gloucestershire, a tea/coffee or a beer awaits by way of thanks!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I have a 4x4 piece of 3/4" plywood that I put under the side stand during the summer when parking on asphalt or ...
Since the saddle bags are pretty much always on the bike, so is the piece of plywood. I don't mind spending money on bike farkles but not on this
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtom
Thanks again for your help- really appreciate it and the trouble and detail you have gone to. If you are ever in Gloucestershire, a tea/coffee or a beer awaits by way of thanks!

Went to Gloucestershire several years ago to get my hard RS seat 'comfortized', Vedeki or something sounding like that. Small workshop just doing custom bike seats.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode