Bike reset after battery charge - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 7:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bike reset after battery charge

Greetings all. Had the dreaded ABS module replaced on my K1200GT (2004) recently, and since then it hasn't run much, so battery died. Took it off bike as per manual, charged nicely, still in good shape, bike starts well...but.... Now have alternating slow 1Hz flashing ABS and <!> warning lights, and BMW says I have to take it to their shop for a 2-hour "software reset".

When I re-fitted the battery I rotated the throttle twice, full travel, before starting. Sequence was Ignition on/off/on/cycle throttle X2/off/on/start.

Is it really necessary to go to the BMW shop for a reset?? I don't see this mentioned in my manuals.

Great site, keep it up.
Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 9:05 am
Enthusiast

my experience has been with earlier models. but I know of nothing that would require a software reset on a K12rs after charging the battery, Good Luck with correction.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 1:11 pm
Addict

Have you actually ridden the bike? Battery may be in its death throws even though you charged it. During cranking if the battery terminal voltage drops below 9-10 volts (poor battery so check!) It's normal to have the ABS lights flashing alternately until you ride a hundred yards, then they should go out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 2:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi. Yes I've ridden it a short distance, just to see if lights went out as usual. They didn't.
Previous reply - will check battery again but programmed charger tests battery's ability to retain charge, and seemed OK. Will check manually.

Any more insights appreciated.
Cheers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 4:52 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Struthers
Hi. Yes I've ridden it a short distance, just to see if lights went out as usual. They didn't.
Previous reply - will check battery again but programmed charger tests battery's ability to retain charge, and seemed OK. Will check manually.

Any more insights appreciated.
Cheers
So does my charger... It tells lies. It was showing the battery on my R1100GS to be fine. However I was getting regular ABS faults at start-up. Which eventually morphed into ABS faults plus clock resets. Both classic symptoms of a near death battery. But still the charger said it was fine - fully charged and holding the voltage through the test cycle. I replaced it today and these problems vanished.The battery was an Exide Gel. Identical in all regards to the BMW original. I have replaced it with an AGM. "Motobatt"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Addict

Quote:
Greetings all. Had the dreaded ABS module replaced on my K1200GT (2004) recently, and since then it hasn't run much, so battery died. Took it off bike as per manual, charged nicely, still in good shape, bike starts well...but.... Now have alternating slow 1Hz flashing ABS and <!> warning lights, and BMW says I have to take it to their shop for a 2-hour "software reset".

When I re-fitted the battery I rotated the throttle twice, full travel, before starting. Sequence was Ignition on/off/on/cycle throttle X2/off/on/start.

Is it really necessary to go to the BMW shop for a reset?? I don't see this mentioned in my manuals.

Great site, keep it up.
Thanks
Mike
Mike,
Your dealer is either confused or not honest. He might think you have an earlier generation K1200RS (before 2001 for Europe) that is equipped with ABSII (also called ABS2). For these earlier ABS modulator you had to visit dealer for a fault reset - not anymore with integral-ABS (with servos) that you have on a 2004.

These Integral-ABS are self check at every ignition ON phase during the first 5 seconds. Every parameters is reset during self-check:
(1) low battery voltage check
(2) fluid level in 2 sections container on right side under seat (see picture)
(3) brake switches off (means lever or pedal not pressed during self-check)
(4) brake switches connected (in case of broken switch or wires)
(5) minimum pressure attained inside modulator

In most cases, it is either item (1) battery, (2) fluid level, (3) defective or badly adjusted brake switch(es). For a defective ABS unit , item (5) above, you need to use a GS911 or the dealer's computer to confirm the internal fault code.

After ignition ON, do not start, wait for 6 seconds for ABS self-check to complete: at that point read battery voltage with Voltmeter. Be prepared by removing seat and toolbox before the ignition is tuned ON. BMW has never published the minimum voltage that would trigger a fault. My best guess is that a good battery should still give you 12.2 volts at that point (some current is being used by bike electronics, dash and headligth+taillignt).

In one of the 2 owners manuals, you will find a table of all possible combination of faults of the 2 red dash warnings. This is a starting point to help you do a quick diagnostic. See attached picture from a page in manual.

Let us know what you find....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200_IABS warning light sequence faults.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	15585   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_IABS_fluid_check_reservoir.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	15593  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2014, 8:20 pm
Veteran

Slow flashing lights at 1Hz??? Could it simply be a low fluid level in one of the reservoirs???

Sometimes after a full system bleed the level may go down later and set off the lights.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2014, 12:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

OK that makes sense, will test batt and probably get new.
Cheers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2014, 12:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

John, many thanks for taking the time over a detailed reply. Will let you know how it goes, but expect new batt will be the result over weekend.
Have a good one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2014, 1:04 pm
Addict

Quote:
John, many thanks for taking the time over a detailed reply. Will let you know how it goes, but expect new batt will be the result over weekend.
Have a good one.
First, visually check fluid level on both sides of the reservoir (as pictured). Easy to do from right side of bike without removing anything.

Do easy stuff first, battery is next on list using voltmeter under load as described...

P.S.: You never specified what exact pattern you are getting once underway (moving above 5 mph). Is it slow flashing on both red warnings ?

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode