Throttle cable - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 2:14 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: surrey, , England, UK
Posts: 86
Throttle cable

Hi

The throttle cable on my 98 K1200RS has been incorrectly routed in the 2 years I have owned the bike. I only realised this a few weeks ago, it went over the top yolk.

I have got all the plastics and tank off and I am reasonably happy about the routeing of my new cable until it comes out at the front near the fuel tank.

Could some one please confirm that it goes between the fork tubes. A picture would be fab.

TIA

Mark
zxmark9r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 3:34 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmark9r
Hi

The throttle cable on my 98 K1200RS has been incorrectly routed in the 2 years I have owned the bike. I only realised this a few weeks ago, it went over the top yolk.

I have got all the plastics and tank off and I am reasonably happy about the routeing of my new cable until it comes out at the front near the fuel tank.

Could some one please confirm that it goes between the fork tubes. A picture would be fab.
TIA
Mark
Mark,

It does go between fork tubes.
See 4 attached pictures for correct routing. Take note that these pictures were done for the later K1200RS having the optional electronic cruise-control - these have 2 throtlle cables (pull - push/return).

The routing on earlier models is the same, but you just have the "pull" cable.
The black/white picture is taken from a Service-Bulletin because I could not find one from that side in my own database of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_throttle_cables_right_side.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	15602   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_throttle_cables_radiator bracket.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	15610   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_throttle_cables_lower_section_1.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	15618   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_throttle-cables_should_NOT_stick-out.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	15626  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 4:10 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: surrey, , England, UK
Posts: 86
Thanks

John

Superb photos, just what I needed.

Thanks a million.

Mark
zxmark9r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 5:40 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmark9r
John

Superb photos, just what I needed.

Thanks a million.

Mark
Glad I could help.
See attached PDF from service-manual page for throttle-cable free-play adjustment.

A common problem on the K1200 is that many will not leave a minimum free-play. This will cause many issues as the Bosh-Motronic fuel management assumes that the TPS idle-stop is hit when throttle is at rest in all conditions (Hot, Cold, handlebars slightly turned).
.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200RS_BMW_repair_Manual_(cable free play).pdf (68.0 KB, 39 views)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2014, 7:45 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: surrey, , England, UK
Posts: 86
Update!!!

Thanks to Sailors photos I was able to replace the new throttle cable and route it correctly.
I did notice that only one of the springs on the throttle body was in use. I then put the air box, fuel rail and fuel tank back before I realised that I was unable to adjust the cable properly, the throttle body did not fully return to its stopper!
I then had to try to secure the unused spring in order to have more/full throttle closure. I managed to secure the said spring using a bit of wire to a bracket. I could not work out where it was meant to be secured due to a lack of light, finger space and time!
I will try to secure the spring to its proper mounting point at some future time, hopefully without having to remove the air box, fuel rail and fuel tank

The throttle is working much more smoothly now!

Mark
zxmark9r is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2014, 8:17 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmark9r
Thanks to Sailors photos I was able to replace the new throttle cable and route it correctly.
I did notice that only one of the springs on the throttle body was in use. I then put the air box, fuel rail and fuel tank back before I realised that I was unable to adjust the cable properly, the throttle body did not fully return to its stopper!
I then had to try to secure the unused spring in order to have more/full throttle closure. I managed to secure the said spring using a bit of wire to a bracket. I could not work out where it was meant to be secured due to a lack of light, finger space and time!
I will try to secure the spring to its proper mounting point at some future time, hopefully without having to remove the air box, fuel rail and fuel tank

The throttle is working much more smoothly now!

Mark
About the return springs in the throttle-bodies:
All generation of K1200 came with 3 fairly stiff springs in the throttle-bodies assy. Some changes exist in later models with cruise-control, but overall most riders complained it was much harder than most bikes they had in the past (from BMW or from Japan).

Because of this, many years ago a few threads showed up in forum about a modifications called "throttle spring relaxation". See this link for an example of this procedure with a picture (not from me):
http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k12...ing/index.html

It is possible yours was modified by previous owner. In some cases, I have heard of version with only 2 springs instead of 3. I have seen a few throttle-bodies assy, including a spare I have here for testing - normally you should have 3 springs (1 between each body), but the rear-most spring, between cylinder 3 and 4, has a slightly different pulley and spring hook arrangement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2014, 11:18 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: surrey, , England, UK
Posts: 86
Throttle Adjustment

I have struggled to adjust the throttle and came to the conclusion that the wiring to the right handlebar was the culprit!

The wiring was really thick and heavy, I had also made it worse as I had put lots of electrical tape around it to tidy it up.

I had recently bought a complete right switch gear to sort out my dodgy indicator, when I went to fit this item I discovered that the connector block was no longer there, a previous owner had redone the wiring!

The previous owner had used some quite substantial wire and connectors, which as I said early had made the wiring very unyielding.

I have now replaced these wires with some thinner ones and used some heat shrink, rather than yards of tape!

The throttle is now adjusted , but the radiator is leaking
zxmark9r is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle cable... kbmwrs K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 4 Dec 2nd, 2013 1:31 pm
throttle cable routing Rema1000 Other K-Bikes Discussion 1 Apr 20th, 2010 9:54 pm
throttle cable routing Rema1000 Other K-Bikes Discussion 1 Jul 9th, 2009 4:59 am
Throttle cable adjustment? Nexus-6 K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 4 Dec 12th, 2006 11:50 am
Broken throttle cable JLane K1200RS/GT (Classic) 8 Sep 6th, 2006 1:23 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome