Cincinnati BMW Owners screwed by dealer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Cincinnati BMW Owners screwed by dealer

OK, lets tell it like it is. Our Cincinnati dealer (BMW of the Tri-State) "closed" the end of December. The Indianapolis dealer closed last year. Nearest BMW dealer to Cincy is Columbus, Ohio or Louisville, KY. I am told that the KY dealer is NOT the place to have service done.

So here we sit with orphan bikes. Now today I drive by BMW of the Tri-State and there are people there and the lights are on. I stop by and here is Danny, the former parts manager. Seems he is in for a day working on the inventory for Bill, the owner. Bill had to be out of town for a few days. We chatted for an hour or so, caught up on what was going on.

What I learn is enough to upset many people. Seems Bill "closed" the shop but still has the dealership. I know of at least two people who have the resources and the desire to buy and re-open that dealership but can't because Bill still holds the franchise rights. Either of these two would run the place well and in fact make it a much better dealer. Problem is, they can't do anything because Bill has it tied up. Seems he is in the middle of a divorce and doesn't seem to care about the business. I feel for Bill's personal situation but what about the hundreds of customers who depend on the dealer for service?

I think its time to make a stink with BMW Motorrad. If there are people who want to run a functional BMW dealer to service and sell their vehicles then let it happen. There are businessmen with the proper resources who have tried to contact BMW about securing this franchise but can not even get a response from BMW. Bill doesn't seem to give a damn about us, the BMW customers. If he is not going to run the dealer then BMW should allow someone who can run it have the franchise.

If BMW lets this continue then it says a lot about how little they care about their customers. I am calling and writing them to see just what I can find out. If I were a BMW owner in the service area of this dealer I would be contacting them and finding out how long they are going to let this go on. I would think that dealer agreements would address this issue and insure that owners have access to proper service.

There is NO excuse to let things go on like this. No responsible company should do business like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:31 pm
Enthusiast

The Louisville shop has done all my service for four years now,never a problem,in and out in one day most of the time,I am very pleased with them.My wife and I have bought three bikes from them,they have been very helpful and are really good people.I personally feel very lucky to have them in Louisville.Never felt I was gouged on prices. The owner is also trying to reopen a shop in Indy.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 7:01 am
Veteran

Columbus has two dealerships right across town from each other, neither is exclusively BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 8:23 am
Addict

Dealer

Man, that's too bad. Just remember this, I don't know from experience but from observation. Divorce can be, and most times is, ugly. Most people going through the process are in LaLa Land when it comes to rational thought. Be patient and let this storm pass, I'm sure it will. The sunshine after the storm does not always hit you in the face, but it always comes. Hang in there and good luck.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
Man, that's too bad. Just remember this, I don't know from experience but from observation. Divorce can be, and most times is, ugly. Most people going through the process are in LaLa Land when it comes to rational thought. Be patient and let this storm pass, I'm sure it will. The sunshine after the storm does not always hit you in the face, but it always comes. Hang in there and good luck.
I couldn't have said it any better...

I do my own stunts
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:58 am
Addict

In regards to Tristate, he's pretty much been in lala land since I've known him.....

This doesn't surprise me one bit to be honest......

Let's hope it passes sooner rather than later. the last I heard on service would be that the BMW dealer on the east side of Columbus is the better of the 2 up there to go to. Plus I think he was one of the owners interested in the shop in Cincinnati. I think Jeff Nutter is up there now also.

Eddie may have had decent service in Louisville, but I've not heard great things about that dealership. Further, the owner there supposedly doesn't have the financing to open up a new franchise (either in Indy or Cincinnati)....

Anyway, mind you I've not been to any of the three dealerships in Columbus or Louisville (yet)....

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:13 am
Looking for better limits...

Alow...

Keep in mind that there is another critical element involved here, not that it dispenses with the LaLa mentality...

1) Divorce Lawyers
2) Company Lawyers.

Both 1 and 2 have to be reasonably happy for things to go forward, and I have yet to hear a lawyer's initial response to be anything but "No".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:26 am
Enthusiast

Angry

Ouch. Hope all is worked out by the time serious ridding season is here. BMW should take action to relive or revoke the franchise to another. I bought this bike and I planned to be hands off. I've worked on these things all my life and really wanted to keep my hands clean for once. Oh well mitts in the tool box again.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:59 am
Addict

A similar thing happened with our local cage dealer a few years back. One minute they were selling cages with good deals and giving warranties in one brand, then over a weekend, the signs got changed and they became another brand.

What happened then was brand loyalty became zero for existing customers who had a 50 mile round trip for service and no longer trusted their local dealer for their next cage. I notice they are still trading, but selling petrol now!

If brand loyalty is destroyed it's a double whammy. Not only can customer loyalty switch so they don't sell their brand, but the original brand loses market share to a new competing brand. It then costs them far more in promotion costs to win back damaged loyalty on small volume high price products like our motorcycles. Downside is, those of us buying new, pick up the tab for a share of lost dealer sales and new promotion costs.

You guys are lucky to have good online parts dealers and learning to do your own wrenching can take some of the pain away. Sometimes I reckon planning and doing my own work means my bike is off road for less time convenient to me. How many dealers do you know that keep a full range of parts locally in stock, most over here in UK have to order them in mail order anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:00 pm
Addict

Not knowing whats going on, Ill just throw this in. Could it be that BMW is trying to work with a dealer they already have set up? Knowing he is going thru some tuff times and are cutting him some slack? Could be when he stops looking for places to hide the body he may come back bigger , better ,and stronger than ever! I did the divorce shit a few years ago so maybe I'm looking at it a bit one sided. Oh, if he needs a place to hide a body I still have a couple I didnt use I'll sell him cheap.

Last edited by jimmm; Feb 18th, 2006 at 12:07 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode