ABS Control Module - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2014, 8:34 am Thread Starter
Rookie

ABS Control Module

Hi All,

My mechanic tells me that my ABS Control Module needs replacing. He performed a diagnostics test at the BMW garage here in Sao Paulo, Brazil and the test concluded that the command module was defective. My bike is a 1998 K1200RS.

Price for a new ABS VLR control module in Brazil is R$16,000 (absurd I know - about US$8,000) and the price quoted in the US is US$2,900.

Any ideas what I can do? I am at a point now where I am close to walking away from the bike. It is a 1998 Dolphin Blue in mint condition with less than 30,000 km and very frustrating as I had recently purchased some Ohlin shocks for her as well as some braided cables from Pirates Lair.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions apart from walking away!!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2014, 9:53 am
cws

Try contacting these guys in the US, Module Masters for repair.
There's been quite a few threads about them doing repairs on earlier ABS BMW bike units (research on bmwlt.com if you want more info).
They may be mentioned elsewhere on this site also.... looks like they have an online chat helpdesk...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2014, 2:12 pm
Addict

Your pump unit is like mine - early ABS II. First try and see if you can get one from a breaker/boneyard bike or fleabay. There are more used parts around now for the early K's.

That early module is one of the few that can be opened up and some basic fault finding done.

Try this if you feel up to the challenge, but what I'm not sure about is whether the electronics are faulty or there's a mechanical fault. Often it is mechanical/relay or diode that causes the faults and some have got lucky:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=ABS+II

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2014, 2:57 pm
Rookie

I wouldn't walk away.. I would weigh up the pros and cons of fixing it. And then - if that proved prohibitively expensive - get shot of the ABS and revert to standard brakes. much easier and perhaps more affordable for your non-servo bike.

Being cautious and wary of nasty surprises - I have already costed the disablement of the servo/abs on my 2004 - £200 to disable it and re-hose - but leave the 'brains' intact so the speedo still works. thats around $340 USD. so. it shouldn't cost more for your much simpler system.

How important is the ABS to you?

99 R1100GS
04 K1200GT

Have tent will travel. (Slovenia May 2014)

and very jolly it was too... next: The Schwartzwald in September. (whoop)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 7:39 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks all - very helpful as always. I have tried to contact Module Masters but so far no reply. I had not thought about the option to have no ABS - let me discuss with the mechanic - not sure how much that degrades braking or whether, even without ABS, the brakes remain very good.
Very frustrating and I cannot believe the cost of these modules new. I have been toying with the idea of getting a newer bike - maybe a K1200R or K1300R but that is another question.
Thanks again
James
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 11:05 am
Rookie

A new ABS unit is no less expensive relative to the overall value of bikes here in the UK than over your side of the Atlantic. Its a fairly common job. And has no bad effect on the braking - why should it? The important parts remain intact - all that is done is bypassing the controller at a minimum. Some owners don't bother to remove it - they leave it in place and just bypass it.

I'm talking here about the 1100/1150GS - which, I believe uses the same system as your bike - with any differences being mere 'details'.

here are a couple of photos that show one method of bypass - using hard copper pipes. front and rear.

I don't see why you couldn't use flexible hoses instead.

99 R1100GS
04 K1200GT

Have tent will travel. (Slovenia May 2014)

and very jolly it was too... next: The Schwartzwald in September. (whoop)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 7:19 pm
Enthusiast

I had the mechanical parts go out on mine - "the clutch slaves have gone bad". So, I was riding with no ABS until I could have it fixed. At the time, a new pump set was about $1500 USD ($2000 at A&S site today). As recommended above, I got a used system for about $450 USD and had it installed while the dealer was affecting a warranty fix on a trans seal. I seriously thought of just running the bike without the ABS system...Heck, I was doing that, for about 3 months ( I put black tape over the lights). The brakes were perfectly fine, just no modulation if I woould have locked one. The unit does not add power to the system, it only releases pressure in a modulated fashion if the wheel speed indicators do not register close to each other. If I remember correctly, our early ones are not 'connected' with or to anything else, and are mostly a mechanical device. So, if you end up unable to get a used unit that works, you can easily go to a Non-ABS set up, either by leaving it alone, or by by-passing the ABS controller as noted above. My understanding is that removal and installation requires the lifting of the frame off the engine, which is why I had it done when the dealer had to do the seal fix.

I much prefer having ABS, but at the price for a new unit is way more than my bike is worth, and I don't have to have it shipped to Brazil!

After posting - I took another look at the linked thread from Vox. If the mechanic in Brazil thinks it is the electronic controlling items....testing the relay base, etc might be the answer. For sure have him look at that thread. Spud did a lot of work that just might save you a lot of time, effort, money. Oh, and reading his and Vox's comments, it sounds like you do NOT have to raise the frame to get it out.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Last edited by Y2K12RS; Apr 2nd, 2014 at 7:40 pm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2014, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone. Great news - Module Masters got in touch and confirmed that they can repair the module so my K1200RS will ride again. I will now also proceed with the Ohlins installation and some braided cables that I purchased from Pirates Lair and she will be as good as new! Thanks again everyone.
James
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2014, 12:06 pm
cws

James, post what the eventual cost & success (or not) was as it could help others... Hope it works out OK.
Cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode