ECU Case and position - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 11:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

What is this 2 (Was: ECU Case and position)

Can anyone show me a picture of the back of their ECU case please (the side without the socket), mine is missing and I'd like to see if it would be possible to make one out of a flat piece of aluminium or if it is shaped rather than just a flat piece, in which case I'd need to find somewhere to buy one

Also, mine has been bodged to fit in the tray that sits on top of the battery, I'm 99% sure that it shouldn't be there but I can't see where else it would go, can anyone enlighten me please?

2002 K1200RS

Last edited by mr_so; Apr 6th, 2014 at 2:28 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 12:20 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_so
Can anyone show me a picture of the back of their ECU case please (the side without the socket), mine is missing and I'd like to see if it would be possible to make one out of a flat piece of aluminium or if it is shaped rather than just a flat piece, in which case I'd need to find somewhere to buy one

Also, mine has been bodged to fit in the tray that sits on top of the battery, I'm 99% sure that it shouldn't be there but I can't see where else it would go, can anyone enlighten me please?
I am very familiar with K1200RS, but I am not following your request at all... The ECU is under fuel tank, not near battery. The only tray sitting over battery that I know is the BMW factory tool-kit - a plastic tray that contains a pouch with tool-kit.

Maybe a picture of what you are refering to would help.

P.S.: I just edited my post to include a picture of an empty battery-tray, including the metal cover (and 2 bolts + rubber) holding the battery in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Battery_Tray_rubber.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	15761  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 2:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yeah, I just went and took another look and I am pretty sure that I am mistaken about what it is, though it is still a mystery to me so I took a photo

As you can see it has been 'professionally' wrapped in gaffer tape (not by me!) which is the main reason I want to do something sensible with whatever it is. Hopefully the plug will give it away..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whatisit2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	15769  

2002 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Ecu

Hi

As Sailor has said the ECU should be under the fuel cell. To take the fuel cell off you have to Remove:

Seat
Air intake under headlight (there are allen bolts that hold the front of the fairing in)
both side fairings
Indicator pods
I x allen bolt near the front yolk which is holding centre fuel cell cover.
You will also need to disconnect the fuel lines, lots of forum members use quick disconnects!
Another key thing is to check that you have metal connectors as the original plastic connectors are prone to failure, sometimes with disastrous results.

I have just spent the past week trying to rectify bodge wiring to my right handle bar!
You can buy wiring looms on Ebay for £30-£90.
Hope this helps

Mark
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 3:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I've convinced myself that it is in fact part of the ABS pump which contains the brains, (the ABS was been removed from this bike by a previous owner). So there probably isn't really anywhere else I can put it, certainly not without first making a cover for it as it is open to the elements (aside from the tape) on the other side..

2002 K1200RS
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 8:41 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_so
Yeah, I just went and took another look and I am pretty sure that I am mistaken about what it is, though it is still a mystery to me so I took a photo

As you can see it has been 'professionally' wrapped in gaffer tape (not by me!) which is the main reason I want to do something sensible with whatever it is. Hopefully the plug will give it away..
Based on your picture, for your model with Integral-ABS (a 2002 model), this appear to be a home-made fix commonly done when the ABS-Modulator is defective and the owner does not want to spend $US 2300.

To say that is "professionally wrapped" is a bit overstated. If it is what I think, it can be dangerous if undeclared to the buyer (you). At this point, the bike is not stock, does not have ABS function anymore, and in some country it is totally illegal to modify a critical system like the brakes without having a new certificate.

See attached picture: if your 2002 K1200RS was stock, on the left of the battery you would see a similar connector entering the ABS-Modulator. If the modulator is NOT present on your bike, then you may have the case described above. If properly done, brakes will still function (without ABS option), but in some state or some country you could be in deep shit with insurance in case of accident.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200RS_IABS_Connector_seated_top.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	15777  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 9:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

It's OK, this was declared to me and has been done by a proper garage, the "professional" bit above was meant as sarcasm as the kit they used evidently didn't have a cover to replace the hole left when the rest of the pump was removed. Everything works fine, brakes, speedo etc, just no ABS any longer.

Now I know what it is I'll make a cover for it and see if I can reposition it back next to the battery where it really belongs

Thanks for the help.

2002 K1200RS
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 4:30 am
Addict

When the ABS was removed and the braking system re-piped, presumably that was done and you can see that? They kept the ABS module in circuit to keep the speedo working. The ABS electronics should be next to the ABS pump module/battery which is the module on the left side with all the brake pipes going in and out of it.

You should make sure you know what modifications have been done to the braking system and what functions are still required from the ABS electronics now bodged under the seat.

If the ABS electronic module is like the ECU it will have a custom shaped cover fitting on a silicone seal. Such a critical component will have to survive the weathering tests (hosepipe!) and not allow water inside.

I think it would be difficult to make a cover to be a hermetic seal. If you want to keep the ABS brake bodge then consider buying a suitable size IP rated sealed ABS box, making sure wiring into it is through grommet seals. If you regard the box as enclosing 1000 volt electricity traveling at 100mph in the rain, then you will get the idea.

In UK your insurance company will ask you to declare modifications every year you insure the bike. The only way serious modifications like this would ever get approved would be if a vehicle engineer with professional registration were to assess and certify the modification as safe. That costs a lot of money and is what BMW would have done when they first designed the braking system and got type approval for it.

Therefore you will have to lie to your insurance company every year. If you tell the truth once your answer will be logged against your bike and all insurance companies will know lies are being told when any owner is asked the same question.

Just because a seller told you work was done professionally, doesn't mean they will give you a certificate from a registered vehicle engineer approved by insurance companies to say the 'custom modification' keeps the same or reduces the insurance risk. Therefore I suggest you have increased the risk to insurance companies be removing ABS on a type approved vehicle and one look under your seat after an accident will tell all and you could be personally liable for huge compensation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Apr 11th, 2014 at 4:43 am.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 7:39 am
Rookie

UK Insurance companies don't care one way or the other about ABS removal - its a VERY common job done on post 02 R1150GS and GSA's. there are no 'added risk' implications. in fact - 'very common' is probably a gross understatement.

less common on the older bikes - the ABS2 system is quite robust. But.. obviously not immune to failure and following that many owners opt for its removal.

You must tell them that it had been removed, as it is a modification - but it will end there. No request for any kind of report. nor any effect on premiums have been reported that I'm aware of. and I keep a close eye on this as the ABS in my 1100 is getting on a bit. And obviously the GT with its servo and possible failure always at the back of my mind. If it does fail.. i will have it removed/disabled - revert to standard brakes and tell the Insurance company. In my case that is Carole Nash.

If anyone can point to any BMW owner who has been forced to provide an engineers report after disablement or complete removal of the ABS system from a bike - then i for one would be fascinated to hear about it. Because as far as Im aware - it has never happened. Certainly not via the larger insurance companies.

99 R1100GS
04 K1200GT

Have tent will travel. (Slovenia May 2014)

and very jolly it was too... next: The Schwartzwald in September. (whoop)

Last edited by Motobiker; Apr 11th, 2014 at 7:46 am.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 8:19 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker
UK Insurance companies don't care one way or the other about ABS removal - its a VERY common job done on post 02 R1150GS and GSA's. there are no 'added risk' implications. in fact - 'very common' is probably a gross understatement.

less common on the older bikes - the ABS2 system is quite robust. But.. obviously not immune to failure and following that many owners opt for its removal.

You must tell them that it had been removed, as it is a modification - but it will end there. No request for any kind of report. nor any effect on premiums have been reported that I'm aware of. and I keep a close eye on this as the ABS in my 1100 is getting on a bit. And obviously the GT with its servo and possible failure always at the back of my mind. If it does fail.. i will have it removed/disabled - revert to standard brakes and tell the Insurance company. In my case that is Carole Nash.

If anyone can point to any BMW owner who has been forced to provide an engineers report after disablement or complete removal of the ABS system from a bike - then i for one would be fascinated to hear about it. Because as far as Im aware - it has never happened. Certainly not via the larger insurance companies.
I do not know about insurance or govt regulations in UK, but the facts are:
1) ABS2 is a different animal - you could have a disables ABS function BUT the brake plumbing is not changed in any way. Also, many shop can repair/overhaul ABS2 units for a fairly low price. Internal of these units is fairly simple compare to IABS with servos.

2) For IABS (or integral-ABS with servos): very few shops can repair these as parts are impossible to get from BMW or FTE. The plumbing must be changed to remove unit otherwise you only have residual braking force (not much). This means you have modified the brake system (a critical component of certificate).

Just my opinion....

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode