2004gt 7000mi - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 8:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2004gt 7000mi

Saw this at the BMW dealer,on consignment. Asking @8500 and offer $8000 contingent on first riding it. Cust said ok so next Wednesday I will take it for a spin. new tires and bar backs. The red is what turned me on. I really don't want to spend the extra bucks on the newer GT. take a look , Your thoughts?

http://www.bmwmcgr.com/bikes/detail/0000000209/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 9:54 pm
Enthusiast

that is a sharp looking motorcycle!

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2014, 10:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2004gt

Thanks Mike, years ago had a 85 K100rs and than later a 93 K75. I am hoping this GT will be as smooth as the K75 was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 3:07 am
cws

Looks very nice, like the red.
I recently acquired a VGC low km orient blue 2005 as a 2nd bike for commuting to save the legs on my K1200LT (over 100k km).
Originally had a 96 K75RT that I traded for the LT.
Engine on the GT is tight as anything and super smooth, power diff to the K75 is significant, with a different "whine".
Steering quite different on all 3 bikes, mine needs new tyres desperately.

First things I've ordered are a HID light and a Stebel Horn (under $100). Both OEM are piss weak.
Next on list is metal quick disconnects, dont think previous owner has altered anything original.
Enjoy the new ride if you take it on!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 6:15 am
Rookie

Thats nice.. don't think Ive ever seen a red one on this side of the pond - best upgrade I've made on mine was very subtle: raising the mirrors - so I now have a fuller view. The only downside is on full lock with the screen in the lowest position the mirrors can touch the screen - but thats really a non issue for me.

99 R1100GS
04 K1200GT

Have tent will travel. (Slovenia May 2014)

and very jolly it was too... next: The Schwartzwald in September. (whoop)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 10:59 am
Enthusiast

Wow, really low mileage and the red ones are extremely rare. I would go for it, but would demand all the fluids be changed prior to delivery. It obviously has not been ridden much. With history of ABS pump problems, I would not want to take the chance that moisture got into the brake fluid.
I think my GT is the best bike I have ever owned. Good comfort for 2 up long hauls and more than enough grunt in the twisties, when you get there. I added a Pirate's Lair backrest for the wife, PIAA auxiliary lights under the cowl, and a Garmin Zumo and autocom system. Thinking about getting another bike. But, keeping this one for good.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 11:33 am

Nice Bike

A very very nice bike. I was under the impression that bikes were much cheaper in the USA compared to the UK. That bike seems a bit over priced to me as it cost something in the region of 5000

Please see the link for the most expensive k1200RS/GT that I could find in the UK:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...true?logcode=p

Mark
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:05 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmark9r
A very very nice bike. I was under the impression that bikes were much cheaper in the USA compared to the UK. That bike seems a bit over priced to me as it cost something in the region of 5000

Please see the link for the most expensive k1200RS/GT that I could find in the UK:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...true?logcode=p

Mark
You are absolutely correct - the average USA price during last 12 months for such K1200GT (2003-2005) is between $US 5000 to 7500.

Unless he can obtained a VERY detailled mechanical inspection or ALL systems (with some short warranty), including perfect maintenance history, this one is too expensive. Just my opinion....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Apr 7th, 2014 at 3:04 pm.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 2:52 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max70
Saw this at the BMW dealer,on consignment. Asking @8500 and offer $8000 contingent on first riding it. Cust said ok so next Wednesday I will take it for a spin. new tires and bar backs. The red is what turned me on. I really don't want to spend the extra bucks on the newer GT. take a look , Your thoughts?

http://www.bmwmcgr.com/bikes/detail/0000000209/
Not to rain on your parade, but $8k??? More like $4k brother. Low milage is not an indicator of higher value on a 10 yr old bike Quite the opposite. Rubber clutch and brake lines- replace, fuel lines and quick disconnects- if plastic- replace, and the ever favorite 50cent o-ring motor to trans shaft seal- replace ($1500).

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 7:16 pm
Noob

It has fresh rubber so request a full tune up, fuel disconnects done and go for it. If you can get the price down a bit all the better but this looks like a really nice one.

So you pay a thousand or so over book price for a bike in this condition and mileage sounds fine to me.

i paid 6,000 for my 13,000 mile, one owner, superb condition 03 GT last fall and I would have paid 7,000 for it if I had too.

Tod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode