mirror nut needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2014, 6:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

mirror nut needed

Bought a set/used for my RT, one nut missing. Any suggestions? Alternatives?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2014, 10:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

As luck would have it, a normal 8mm fit the left side, barely, still think i should get the correct part though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 4:16 am
Addict

Tricky special that fastner, because I think they wanted it slim and hidden.

I noticed mine was starting to work loose so think about a small spot of Loctite on the threads.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 6:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

Yep, and there's no space for a regular nut much less a socket, impossible with anything else on the throttle side.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 6:38 pm
Enthusiast

Just replaced my throttle side mirror two days ago and I have to agree with Vox....a spot of some kind of mild threadlock would be good. I thought I had it tightened down well but on my 4hr morning ride to work yesterday, it began working itself loose. You also could put a rubber band around your Hex hey to ease installation....it keeps the nut from sliding down while you try to get it to grab the threads of the mirror stalk, my fingers tend to be too large to get into those tiny spaces to hold things.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2014, 7:04 am
Addict

One small thought about threadlockers... use the mildest form possible. Undoing aggressive threadlockers is so not fun. Ever. BTDT - hate the t-shirt.

BTW, avoid Permatex threadlockers and stick with Loctite Brand Threadlockers.

NOTE: I am biased no end on the above product discussion. My wife, as the former trademark attorney for Loctite, has all manner of connection with Loctite, including drawing a pension from the parent company, Henkel. All of which benefits me no end (well, except I never got any freebies - darnit). BUY LOCTITE BRAND PRODUCTS SO I CAN RIDE!

(But, really, go easy on the threadlocker. Honest)

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 5:46 am
Addict

If you replace the old style dots like I did, the new mirrors come with pre-coated threadlock (blue) on the threads. The same is true with the bar clamp fasteners (which can also work loose!)

I've had them on and off a few times now and the oem threadlock has been cleaned off the threads. I shall put back some blue Loctite. Of course, you must make sure you use the correct size hex key as the socket is shallow and if you damage it there would be a tricky job ahead.

I see no alternative except getting something machined. Boneyard mirror with broken glass but complete is probably the cheapest option.

I always keep the correct size key for the bar fasteners in my tool bag now. Lesson learned.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode