Hyperpro spring upgrade - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Conway, New Hampshire, United States
Posts: 15
Hyperpro spring upgrade

I really did not want to invest 1200 and up to change what I thought were poor dampers. I noticed that the Hyperpro spring only upgrade was very well regarded over on the LT forum.
Got in touch with Klaus at epmperf.com and he hooked me up with the springs for my weight and riding style (more sport than touring and 6'4" 220 pounds).
Winter has lifted and the newly sprung K1200GT is finally back on the road with the new springs! Wow. What a difference. My bike has 16,000 miles on it and the problem was apparently not the shocks. I can tell you that these Hyperpro springs transformed the GT without replacing the shocks. The bike went from a easily bottoming mushy bike to a firm great handling bike.
My last Sport Touring bike was a Ducati ST4S with Ohlins rear and revalved Ohlins front fork so I know what a great handling sport touring bike is.
todcp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by todcp
I really did not want to invest 1200 and up to change what I thought were poor dampers. I noticed that the Hyperpro spring only upgrade was very well regarded over on the LT forum.
Got in touch with Klaus at epmperf.com and he hooked me up with the springs for my weight and riding style (more sport than touring and 6'4" 220 pounds).
Winter has lifted and the newly sprung K1200GT is finally back on the road with the new springs! Wow. What a difference. My bike has 16,000 miles on it and the problem was apparently not the shocks. I can tell you that these Hyperpro springs transformed the GT without replacing the shocks. The bike went from a easily bottoming mushy bike to a firm great handling bike.
My last Sport Touring bike was a Ducati ST4S with Ohlins rear and revalved Ohlins front fork so I know what a great handling sport touring bike is.
I also saw the guys on the K1200LT web site talking highly about these spring upgrade.

A few questions, if I may:
1) Did you upgrade both front and rear shock ?
2) Did he suggest using the "progressive" springs ?
3) part number and prices for each spring (front , rear) ?

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2014, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Conway, New Hampshire, United States
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
I also saw the guys on the K1200LT web site talking highly about these spring upgrade.

A few questions, if I may:
1) Did you upgrade both front and rear shock ?
2) Did he suggest using the "progressive" springs ?
3) part number and prices for each spring (front , rear) ?

Thank you!
Good questions.

1. Front and rear springs.
2. The Hyperpro is a progressive spring. (they do make a linear spring if you prefer but they recommended the progressive for my application)
3. The front and rear "combo" kit is part #SP-BM12-SSL023. Price for pair is 269.
He also attached, to the Hyperpro manual, a sheet with the range of how to set the rear preload and rebound damper for my use and weight.
I recommend calling to review weight and riding style.
todcp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2014, 5:48 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by todcp
Good questions.

1. Front and rear springs.
2. The Hyperpro is a progressive spring. (they do make a linear spring if you prefer but they recommended the progressive for my application)
3. The front and rear "combo" kit is part #SP-BM12-SSL023. Price for pair is 269.
He also attached, to the Hyperpro manual, a sheet with the range of how to set the rear preload and rebound damper for my use and weight.
I recommend calling to review weight and riding style.
Great!
Thanks for reply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sailor is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Absolutely the most detailed description of the K1200S I've come across... sinc K12/1300S 20 Jul 19th, 2014 9:04 am
The new ESA-II explained - long Moronic K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 3 Oct 13th, 2008 8:50 pm
Software Upgrade and Airbox Replacement Experience XMagnaRider K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 6 May 7th, 2008 8:20 pm
North San Diego County BMW tells me the 7.0 upgrade is not covered under warranty. yumaLT K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 23 Sep 17th, 2006 10:52 pm
Way To Upgrade Throttle Spring? Amac K12/1300R/R-Sport 0 Aug 4th, 2006 9:58 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome