Rod bearing shell colors - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2014, 11:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Rod bearing shell colors

Hi,
Please help me with this

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=11&fg=24

My mechanic already took out the crank shaft , sadly i need to replace rod bearing shells , main Bearings are ok, rod bearing ( 4 pistón) needs oversize.

If i understand correctly (please correct me ).
The crank from factory can came in diferent size on rod thats the reason that exist green and yellow color Bearings
Eatch of this colors came in standard size (0) and oversize (1)

If this is ok, please help me with the follówing questions :

1.- how can i know which color came on my engine ?, where is the mark ? Or only by measures ?

2.- what is the diference on size betuneen stand and oversize shell ?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2014, 5:43 am
Addict

Yours is a good question, but very few will probably have worked at this level. Here are some suggestions:

BMW seem to use bearing color coding for their cars (M3) so Google to find out their logic.

From past experience rebuilding engines, manufacturers forge and grind their cranks, but to get the most bearing mileage they select bearing shells to fit the tolerance range of each batch of cranks made. That is on a new bike build. So you measure the crank journal size then find out what crank journal size fits the tolerance range for each of the BMW parts. You need that information. Do not think you can compensate for journal wear by selecting the next undersize shell. Crank journals wear oval and not at the extreme edges so you need to make several measurements on your journals. If you are replacing with the same and not regrinding, you should take the largest of your crank journal measurements NOT the smallest!

If a crank jounal is damaged, then it can be re-ground (made slightly smaller) and replacement undersize bearing shells may be sold in 10 or 20 thou step sizes. In a good precision workshop, a crank can be ground to a precise undersize, so you do not need to tolerance select new bearing shells.

You should try and find out what shell sizes those part numbers correspond to. Ask your dealer to email the BMW mothership and tell us the answers. BMW are pretty good at numbering their parts. If you cannot find paint marking on the crank. then see if they have marked the shells with a part code other than paint. You should micrometer each crank journal anyway to check the sizes are consistent and all will fit one of their shell size tolerance range. With an internal micrometer (or bore gauge) you should be able to mount a pair of shells in each con rod and measure the internal shell size of your worn shells.

In the BMW shop manual they use Plastiguage to check journal/shell wear which should be in the range 30-66 microns with a wear limit of 130 microns. They say that regrind stages are '0' and '1' with the crank pins carrying paint spots. If there are no paint spots they say that regrind is at base stage '0' implying, you can go one more, but journals must be hardened and finished afterwards!

Do NOT treat this link as relevant, but it gives you some ideas:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109017

red - 59.980-59.990
blue - 59.971-59.980
yellow - 59.984-59.990
green - 59.977-59.983
white - 59.971-59.976

If you look at those size ranges they are all undersize and less than 60.00mm. a micron is 1/1000 mm.

In the above table for the car, Red is 10-20 micron undersize, Blue 20-29 micron, yellow 10 to 16, green 17-23 and white 24-29 microns.

None of the above are regrind undersizes which would be 254 microns each undersize step.

In the above car example I suggest the BMW shell color coding is a way of grading their assembled cranks to take account of crank journal manufacturing tolerances.

An important point is I do not see undersize shells listed, should you find your crank needs to be reground. However, these may be available from a 3rd party supplier since you would not expect BMW to list shell sizes for a reworked motor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Apr 13th, 2014 at 5:55 am.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2014, 7:07 am
Veteran

If I judge from the older airheads there is no regrinding them crankshafts. They are machined and then BMW specs the bearing shells to match.

There may be some clues as to what you have on there if there are markings on the inside part of the shells.

Let me guess first....must be an early K1200RS. 97-98??? Same thing happened to someone I know on the Canadian West Coast, he went to the US to buy a used BMW, never made it home had to put a new very expensive short block in the bike before he made it home.

Fleabay for an updated motor??? Post-sometimes in 99????

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2014, 9:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your answers

I cant found an y color spot at the crank,yesterday we took out the crank and the next monday i need to go to a machinist place , to correct measures the journals ,
But number 4 is oval ?

My bike is 1998 year

Questions:

1.- aftermarket brands that sell Bearings shells ?

2.- what involves in the process to hard the journals after the regrind ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2014, 5:24 am
Addict

Quote:
2.- what involves in the process to hard the journals after the regrind ?
I have to say I have never had hardening done on older car crankshaft regrinds and that quote was in the shop manual. I don't know how BMW make these crankshafts and how important this is.

Most engine rebuild shops should have sources for getting afternmarket parts like pistons and bearing shells. You need to do some internet searching. This is the type of manufacturer you need to look for, but bikes may be difficult.

http://www.aclraceseries.com/catalog.html

After measuring your crank ovality, your engineer needs to estimate the amount of bearing undersize and whether shells are available. Some engineers will not say in advance what the undersize will be until they can see the surface after grinding. Over 20 thou I think I would scrap the crank rebuild project and look for a used good short block.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2014, 11:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2014, 11:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Update

You can see the red spots at crank
The original part number for rod bearing was 1460067 787/913
Yes , is not an 11 digit part number

We replace 3 standard size or stock size rod Bearings
And 1 oversize

The crank was grinded, not hardened, the process is complicated and dont gave me anykind of warranty .

Engine is in great condition again

I just returned from about 100 mph trip and everything is ok

Hope this words for long time

The factory manual is great, all the parts are easy to work, the chain tensioner took a little of time, but i use a drill to retain the chain tensioner
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2014, 5:08 am
Addict

Glad it is back together for you.

From a point of my previous practice on this type of work, I would have had all 4 journals ground, because now your crankshaft will not be balanced. just watch the redline rpm!

Have you checked the oil pump for pressure?

You probably spent less than buying a half engine, so if it grenades again you probably have not lost much.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2014, 7:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

Oil pressure is perfect

The problem was and oil leak from one of the oil hoses to radiator, i lost oil, i dont used in months ,when i returned to the bike , the bike only have 1.5 quarts
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2014, 9:44 am
Veteran

Oil pressure good as in 75 PSI or thereabouts at cruising speeds? That's good if so my bike runs at about that. You may want to install a permanent gauge if just to keep an eye on things, the silly light will only come on at about 15 PSI and plenty of bad things can happen to them engines running for a while at lower than specs pressures.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode