2002 k1200rs Lighting issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2014, 9:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

2002 k1200rs Lighting issues

I have recently developed some issues with my 2002 k1200rs. Living in Iowa and being an avid rider throughout all seasons, my bike definitely gets a workout. At just over 52000 miles she still runs and drives great. Here are my current issues. A few months ago, Feb. I went out for a ride on one of the warmer days. I got back home, parked my bike, shut it off and took out the key. To my amazement, the rear tail light remained on. I tried everything I could think of to get it to turn off. Nothing worked (if I would have disconnected the battery it would have worked). I let the bike sit for a few hours, and magically it turned off.

Fast forward to this weekend. I drove home during a wicked rainstorm on Saturday night, and left the biked parked until this morning. I woke up with a fresh layer of snow outside, and apparently with the wind blowing, the snow covered the bike under an overhang I parked it under. On my way to work, every time I engaged the clutch to shift the headlight would shut off until I released the clutch. I should mention that my instrument panel would also shut off when shifting (both the clock light and all other lights (like the high beam) shut off as well) I tried to use the high beam, same issue. What are your thoughts as to why this could be happening, and what I should check out for both issues?

Thank you

22-1983 kz750 -Sold
24-2000 1100 Shadow Sabre-Sold
27-2002 BMWk1200rs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2014, 3:33 pm
Addict

Without having a chance to look at the bike, this is a guess but... you've got wiring issues (yeah, I know, obvious answer). My first thought was a poor ground, but that wouldn't explain the tail light. Which leaves me thinking, you have two different problems.

I'd check the fuses and the overall condition of the wiring.Look for a wire with worn-through insulation or a loose connector (or ground connector). It may well still be on the ground side. Remember the clutch has a lockout switch on it (pull the clutch in and you can crank the engine). It's possible that's supplying ground path.

One other thought about the tail light. Is it possible you left the ignition in "lock with marker light"? That is, turned the key past the "just turn things off" position?

Why did the light go out? It drew the battery down is my guess.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2014, 10:03 pm
Veteran

You know....tailight staying on etc...First thing I'd do is to clean the "electrical component" of the ignition switch. A little fiddly but not very hard. That thing isn't too weatherproof and if the OEM lube inside is worn water could get in through the drain hole and cause gremlins.

If you want the "how to" I have a sticky thread on the other forum with pics. Most of that is in Clymer but not the opening of the electrical component.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2014, 7:59 am
Addict

+1 Good idea.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2014, 10:05 am
Veteran

There you go Mr.OP if you want to get into the switch.From what some of us have found in ours they can cause problems. Looks like mine would have eventually:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=48100

I'd have to be home to check the wiring diagram and the relation with the headlight etc re the clutch switch. Maybe some moisture in the switches? Thay are also a little tricky to open, more small parts and springs but not too bad if only to dry them out and lube them properly. Something BMW doesn't do very well the switch lube,lots of grease but most times in the wrong places.

There is also a reported issue with the wiring looms coming from forward along the steering neck/frame. Too tight the zapstraps and not enough play so the casings may crack and let water in or even break the wires. I had two cracked casings, fixed now before the gremlins came out.

AND...if the electrical "jack in the box" has been opened before for any reason it may not have been closed/sealed properly and may let moisture in and could create havoc with the electricals.

And then there is also the BMW recommendation of disconnecting all the connectors and cleaning lubing them. Once a year they recommend in the old "still valid" service bulletin. My bike had been in the salt/weather before I bought it, I found quite a few greening connectors that could have caused gremlins. Glad I looked but that's something I have always done on my BMWs, keeping the electricals well protected from the weather.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2014, 12:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you so much for the information. I will take apart the connectors on the switch as well as the ground and look for tarnished connections. Last year i had the throttle cables replaced and he was having a difficult time getting the cruise to work without zip tying the cables down more securely. I am wondering if he (bmw certified mechanic) tightened them too tight. I am fortunate that the bike was fine today, no problems, however, it is no longer wet.

Thank you for the replies and the help!

22-1983 kz750 -Sold
24-2000 1100 Shadow Sabre-Sold
27-2002 BMWk1200rs

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2014, 5:12 pm
Addict

If your tail light was on and you noticed it walking away from the bike, then go back and see if the front parking bulb is lit. If yes, then as RBEmerson said, you turned the ignition key left full anti clockwise to the parking light position. Most other bikes design their parking switch position so it is on the grips which makes more sense. BMW design theirs on the ignition switch so you can leave the parking lamps on by accident and come back to a flat battery.

As far as the other things go, too many things at the moment to get my head around one single problem. Definitely one of those fault(s) that needs eyes on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode