PTO short - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 2:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

PTO short

I've recently become the owner of a 2003 K1200 GT. I've not been able to ride it as much as I'd like but so far it has been brilliant.
When setting up my satnav power supply, I managed to create a short from the DIN power take off on the left side of the bike. There was a brief spark then no power.
I assume I've managed to blow a fuse but I've checked all the fuses under the seat and they seem ok. Everything else seems to work ok.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram (or better still a complete manual on CD) I can access?

Any help welcomed.

Regards from a newbie in the UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 7:22 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanookotn
I've recently become the owner of a 2003 K1200 GT. I've not been able to ride it as much as I'd like but so far it has been brilliant.
When setting up my satnav power supply, I managed to create a short from the DIN power take off on the left side of the bike. There was a brief spark then no power.
I assume I've managed to blow a fuse but I've checked all the fuses under the seat and they seem ok. Everything else seems to work ok.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram (or better still a complete manual on CD) I can access?

Any help welcomed.

Regards from a newbie in the UK.
Your model has the last "improved" designed fuse-boxes that began in 2003 (until 2005).
See attached image and look for fuse #13 in diagram. Use a multimeter (Ohm function) to confirm if fuse is really burned - sometimes an hairline failure is hard to see.

If your bike has 2 power socket over left footpeg, then one more of the optional "not used" fuses could also be used.

For the manual:
you will get better value for your money if you buy the CLYMER repair manual for K1200RS / K1200GT / K1200LT. It is sold on Amazon for approx $US 45. BMW will also sell you a shop manual on a CD but it does not contain any electrical diagram. Also, the BMW manual does NOT offer as many pictures or alternate solution / tools to do a job.

The CLYMER does include some nice colored diagrams although there are some minor errors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Fuse_boxes_(2003-2005 with 16 fuses).JPG
Views:	33
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	15833  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 3:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Dozy me.

Excellent reply - many thanks. My check of the fuses must have been lax as it is indeed the indicated fuse that has blown. Problem sorted.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 8:22 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanookotn
Excellent reply - many thanks. My check of the fuses must have been lax as it is indeed the indicated fuse that has blown. Problem sorted.

Cheers.
Glad to help.
Now get a repair manual....;-)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2014, 9:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

Clymer.

Clymer on order. Awaiting delivery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode