Introduction - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 4:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Introduction

Greetings to all K-bike lovers. Just a registered "newbie" from SoCal over here. Newbie on the forum, but 1999 1200RS owner since new.

Long story short,......bought the bike new, put 19K miles on it, went through divorce, loss of business, home,....."usual" stuff. SHTF in 2009, and the bike was parked since! I've been riding since 1969, and I own three bikes at the moment, so I should've known better, but being under a LOT of stress, I did not do ANYTHING to stabilize the fuel, or anything else to protect the bike.

Bike was parked for FIVE years (indoors), and about a month ago, I decided to put it back in service. Dead battery, no fuel pump, .......usual stuff. Since I am totally DIY type, I took my tools to it. Disassembled EVERYTHING. Fuel pump was totally gummed up, in tank hoses melted, leaving the black goo behind.......the works. Since it was "stored" indoors, there was no other damage. New battery, new oil and filter, new fuel pump and the hoses/filter in the tank, new DOT4,......and she came back to life!

My new wife was never on the bike before, but we own 140 acre horse ranch, with six horses, and she RIDES. She claims her Arabian steers just like a bike (we each have three horses, and we don't share, also,.....at 6'2" I am way too big for the Arabian, so I don't know how it "steers"). Finally convinced her to join me on the K this last Sunday, and we had a blast!

I also put one other one back in service (KTM 640LC), and I also have 1993 ZX11 (that one will have to wait a little, before I restore it, or maybe I'll just sell it).

Anyway,....it feels great to be back on the K, and I searched the web, and found this forum. I lived all over the world (ret. military), and rode bikes on all continents, so I figured, I could contribute something to this community.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KontheRanch.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	15929  

Last edited by danielsand; May 14th, 2014 at 4:28 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Welcome

Welcome to one of the most informative and helpful forum that I have found. You definitely have the right bike for our So. Cal. environs. Hope to see you both on the road, perhaps up on 243 in Idylwild.
Ride well and safe.
EJ
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniejen
Welcome to one of the most informative and helpful forum that I have found. You definitely have the right bike for our So. Cal. environs. Hope to see you both on the road, perhaps up on 243 in Idylwild.
Ride well and safe.
EJ
Thank you. My ranch is 4 miles from 243 (North of I-10), and I will be riding up to Garner Valley on Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 11:20 pm
cws

243 looks like a great road on Google Maps.... congrats on getting it running again!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 9:05 am
Addict

Welcome to the fun!

If you haven't gotten the news, please make sure the fuel line quick disconnect fittings are the metal QD's. BMW used plastic QD's which are known to fail, and when they do, gas comes out of the failed fitting. Not Good. Given all the work you did, you may have done the job, but if not, the job really should be done.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 3:07 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
Welcome to the fun!

If you haven't gotten the news, please make sure the fuel line quick disconnect fittings are the metal QD's. BMW used plastic QD's which are known to fail, and when they do, gas comes out of the failed fitting. Not Good. Given all the work you did, you may have done the job, but if not, the job really should be done.

Thank you for the tip. I did not do this, nor I had any info on it. I don't even own the service manual, but I've been wrenching on the machinery my whole life (as a hobby), and K is no mistery for me.

Could you kindly point me to where I can find these? (besides the dealers)

On the side note,.....I've read on the forum (yesterday, and well after I did all the work!), that the fuel pump is "expensive". I'm sure it is from the dealer, but I bought mine on Ebay from the CA seller for 58 bucks shipped! I don't know if it's any good, but it works. To me,....taking the gas tank off is no big deal, and if this cheapo pump fries, I'll just get another one. What do you guys think?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 3:45 pm
Enthusiast

I definately like ebay used pump vs a new one from dealer. The QD's are available from Beemer Boneyard as a kit

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 4:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
I definately like ebay used pump vs a new one from dealer. The QD's are available from Beemer Boneyard as a kit

That's the beauty of it! NOT a used one,......brand spanking new in the wrapper, with the screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-E...3b7fa1&vxp=mtr

This one's even cheaper! I got ripped off! LOL
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 11:21 pm
cws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Thks for the fuel pump link Daniel.... keeping it in the watch list.

These are the BB QD's mentioned.. I've got a pair shipping for my GT, already installed on the LT a few years back.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2014, 8:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Thks for the fuel pump link Daniel.... keeping it in the watch list.

These are the BB QD's mentioned.. I've got a pair shipping for my GT, already installed on the LT a few years back.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Thanks Mate. Got it filed, and will get to it asap. Need to buy few other things. Since my divorce I moved 4-5 times (just about once a year), and some stuff got lost, some got stollen, and some is probably still burried in the storage (can't find covers for the bikes).

P.S. I just commented to my wife about the link you sent, and I said "it's pretty spendy, for something as simple as that", and she said "if your wife is in the back of the bike, on the way to Laguna Seca, and these things leave us stranded, trust me......you WILL wish you bought them!"

Ain't she great?

Last edited by danielsand; May 16th, 2014 at 8:48 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode