K1200 Rs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2014, 10:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200 Rs

Just picked up an '02 RS. Quite a change from my '89 Yamaha Venture Royale.

Are highway pegs available for this machine?

I'd like to lower the driver foot pegs a couple inches, are there any aftermarket adapters that would do this?

Lastly are the fuel lines held in by snap connectors? Thought I read somewhere that they were. That's something that I'd like to change too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2014, 10:35 am
Enthusiast

What are highway pegs? No they are not made for an RS. Completely different type of bike for that. It was never meant to be a cruiser. Yes, foot peg lowering kits are available for passenger and rider. (try pirate's lair, Jerry has a lot options for the RS) I only lowered the passenger ones for my wife. Yes, the fuel line does have quick disconnects. The original plastic ones have a history of breaking and at worse can set the bike on fire or the least the fuel will stain the magnesium on the engine. And, you can't get the stain off. Believe me, I have tried. Most people replace them metal quick disconnects.. You need the quick disconnects as the tank has to be removed for some of the maintenance procedures.

Heading to Road America in the AM for vintage bike weekend. Hope to see your new toy on the road.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2014, 2:18 pm
Addict

Auggie,
Please get highway pegs off your mind. If you are caught with highway pegs on your KRS, I can't guarantee you safety, think of your family and friends.
Don't lower your pegs until you ride the thing for a while. If you can drag your pegs now, imaging what will happen if you lower them. Don't make us give your Yamaha back.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2014, 10:37 pm
Addict

Highway pegs on a KRS?

Sir, step away from the motorcycle. Step away from the motorcycle now!

Ditto for the peg lowering. All it will do is screw up the ergos (forget tweaking the shifter enough for the new position, and good luck dialing in the brake pedal) and, as was pointed out, drag the pegs in a hard turn. Bad. Very Bad.

FWIW, I'm 6'1", with 36" inseam, and just finished a 900 mile weekend on my '03 K1200RS - 400 going and 400 coming back, with another 100 in between. The riding position is fine on the slabs or back roads. I have two recurring gripes: 1) I wish the seat wasn't quite as slick as it is (I keep sliding forward), and 2) keeping the throttle twisted eventually annoys my wrist. At least I have cruise control, and use it to give my hand a break and to generally loosen my wrist up. Otherwise, the riding position works quite well.

If you have plastic QD's, replace them ASAP. Stained magnesium is bad enough but have you ever seen it burn? What do you think road flares use to get so bright? Replace the QD's.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2014, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

QD's

So how many QD's do I need to order?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2014, 9:08 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie
So how many QD's do I need to order?
you need 2 sets with both male and female plugs. Easy to change. just take off right side panel and clamp the rubber fuel lines above and bellow the plastic quick disconnects. (have a bowl to catch what little gas will be in the line below where you clamped it.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2014, 1:23 am
Addict

You'll need suitable hose clamps. Also, be very sure you put the QD's on exactly as they came off. Put another way, make sure the male piece you removed is replaced by a male piece - ditto for the female bits. Get it wrong and gas runs out when the QD's are disconnected.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2014, 5:02 am
cws

I've got a pair sitting on workbench waiting to be installed too... you can buy from Beemerboneyard here

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Noob

I have a stain on the silver frame just under the tank .. Looks like from fuel .. Maybe the QD were the cause?

I have also had the thought of foot pegs.. My knees cramp up pretty bad and it would be sweet to extend them.. Sorry lol

Last edited by Bersarker; Jun 17th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 7:48 am
Addict

If you have the early 97/98 KRS, the post year 2000 KGT pegs are a straight swap (after migrating the rubber and spring). You only get a 20mm lowering which is not so aggressive when dealing with the shifter and foot brack re-adjustments.

That 20mm makes all the difference and you still have good ground clearance. If you want to go lower, then you need the drop bracket aftermarket kits. (Pirate)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode