best tail bag for K1200GT , 2004 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

best tail bag for K1200GT , 2004

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could recommend the best tail bag for my 2004, K1200GT with a seargent seat. Any recommendations?

thanks

thx,
mike c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 5:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcody
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could recommend the best tail bag for my 2004, K1200GT with a seargent seat. Any recommendations?

thanks
If your seat has a back rest, I's recommend T-Bags. I have a back rest from Pirates Lair that is detachable and the t bag has a sleeve that slips over it and two straps with quick clips that attach to the stock tail rack. There is also an additional bag that attaches to the top of it for more luggage Has worked for 5 years with no problem comes with an attached rain cover also.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2014, 9:04 am Thread Starter
Noob

Unfortunately, I do not have a back rest, I have a Givi V46 Monokey Topcase mounted but I was thinking more along the lines of a bag or luggage case that fits over the passenger seat.
thanks

thx,
mike c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2014, 10:45 am
Addict

If you can find one, the Chicane bags (there's a large and a small bag) on the locking BMW mount (fits on the rack over the taillight) are great. Unfortunately, Chicane is out of business but occasionally their stuff shows up on sites like this or on eBay.

BTW, if the seller doesn't have the key for the plate, now worries. the lock can be extracted from the plate. Take it to a real locksmith (not the guy who just cuts keys) and have the lock's pins reset for your ignition key. I had this done earlier this summer. The guy said, when I brought in the lock, that he had his doubts. When I got it back, "easier than I thought".

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Addict

I have a Cortech Tri-Bag set-up and made straps to go around the grab rails that hold the zipped base down. I can zip the large bag on the back, using the small one for a tank bag or the other way around. PM me and I'll send you some pics and guide you through it if you're interested. My bags are the older version but this is close http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tourmaster-E...item19f1f37218 BTW- I fit this on my seat and not on the supposed "luggage" rack.

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jim S.
[/COLOR] * Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2014, 10:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Tailbag for K1200GT

hello cobbler,
thanks for the offer to send some photos. Yes i am very interested in your setup regarding the tailbag you suggested
i really appreciate your help
thanks again Mike

thx,
mike c
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2014, 6:14 am
Veteran

Depending how big you need. for $ 40.00 the lumbar strap goes under the seat and is secure from theft because of the seat lock. No need in spending hundreds of dollars for something 40 can do. I have a similar one and it works great been in the elements for 2 seasons and holding strong but it was only $20 dollars and just a hair smaller. I'm thinking of getting this one. what i love about them is you just run the strap around and under the seat and its locked in. http://www.ebags.com/product/high-si...uctid=10201112
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2014, 6:30 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
I have a Cortech Tri-Bag set-up and made straps to go around the grab rails that hold the zipped base down. I can zip the large bag on the back, using the small one for a tank bag or the other way around. PM me and I'll send you some pics and guide you through it if you're interested. My bags are the older version but this is close http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tourmaster-E...item19f1f37218 BTW- I fit this on my seat and not on the supposed "luggage" rack.
The side bags used on a GT would sit on the exhaust.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2014, 6:41 am
Addict

I have an Oxford 36L tailpack which is pretty large. Cheap and cheerful but well made and is expandable in height. Mine fixes to the seat rails with tiewraps or bungees. Bag itself is not waterproof but comes with a rain cover. I don't use it much as I have a Givi top case but on a trip with more luggage riding solo, I prefer this to fastening on the BMW side cases. Getting your leg over the saddle is a bit harder!

I did a short airport trip once with pillion and strapped this on to the top of the Givi case!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Motor...xford+tail+bag

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 2:29 pm
Noob

I have been using the Cortech Tailpack that cobbler mentioned for the last few years on a number of bikes including a 2007 K1200R Sport and 2007 K1200GT. It fits the passenger seat perfectly on my GT. I use it a lot and just use two flat adjustable bungies through the passenger grab rails to keep it in position. The Cortech I have right now is my second one and is about 3 years old and still in good shape.

A.J. Jensen
2007 K1200 GT
2007 K1200R Sport (sold - should have kept her)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode