Jacket Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Jacket Question

It's that time of the year. Too warm for a heavy leather jacket and too cool for a real light mesh. Any recommendations for a spring, fall jacket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 3:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66GT
It's that time of the year. Too warm for a heavy leather jacket and too cool for a real light mesh. Any recommendations for a spring, fall jacket?
motoport air mesh II with liner. It's kevlar for best protection and the liner keeps you warmer when the temps get below 65 degrees.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity
motoport air mesh II with liner. It's kevlar for best protection and the liner keeps you warmer when the temps get below 65 degrees.
I agree. I have the cycleport (motorport.com) kevlar air mesh also. From the high 50's to low 80's I wear my air mesh jacket with GoreTex liner with two shirts underneath. As the temperature gets closer to 80 I go to one shirt and store the GoreTex liner. I wear the air mesh pants also but without the GoreTex liner but be sure to wear knee socks for the heat coming off of the engine. The tri-armor does not seem to affect the air flow much at all.

Below the high 50's I add a Gerbing's jacket liner and GoreTex pant liner; so far that's good to freezing and I've already got my rain suit on. The GoreTex buttons up so well that there is no wind chill. As the temperature rises you can open up the GoreTex and the air circulates nicely all around you as you ride.

When the temperature gets in the 90's I wear a moisture wicking shirt with a cool vest and stay much cooler than without the cool vest. The wicking shirt takes away the clamy feeling you get with a cotton shirt. Long sleeves also keep the hot air from hitting your arms. When I'm wearing the kevlar air mesh in the summer a lot of people ask me if I'm hot in the jacket because the air mesh looks like a solid jacket when you are wearing it. It flows air well and if you hold it up to the light you will see why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:24 pm
"DELIVERS"

Smile

be the first on your block....
http://www.insidebikes.com/news/arc...ils.asp?id=4516

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:58 pm
Throttle Jockey

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 4:24 pm
Veteran

temp

I am new to the CO. area and have found it a pain when it comes to trying to find the "right" jacket. If the sun is out great and a mesh jacket works great. In fact, anything greater than that and I cook. But then the sun goes behind a cloud and I want my linner under the mesh.

I have a good, no, very good vented leather jacket and can get away with most weather. When it gets cooled the linner comes out. But Summer sun, nope to hot.

Bought a Cordova 3/4 jacket to fight the thunderstorms of summer, and found it is hard to get into the pockets and is to hot in direct sun.

What I have ended up formulating is that the thin air at 6K and above just makes thnigs hard. Most of the time I ride in the leather and carry the linner. Other times I ride in the mess and carry the liner. So the linner is coming out to be the most important item I own and it happens to be a Gerbings so I can plug it in for the winter days.

One jacket, forget it!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2006, 8:32 am

In Tulsa, you have to something for extreme heat and extreme cold. Those are always the easy jackets to find. The in between jackets are a bitch. I ended up buying a PowerTripp called the PowerShift. It has leather upper arms and shoulders. The outside of the jacket zips off to convert to a mesh jacket. Plus there is an addition windproof/waterproof liner. It has removable CE armor and the outside shell had excellent zipper vents.

I've left Tulsa in the 100 degree heat for the Rockies of Colorado and the Jacket just does everything well.

http://www.power-trip.com/products.cfm?products_id=225
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 9:51 am
Veteran

That Power Shift sounds cool. I will be saving the link in case I need another (that would make 6) jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wees_tulsa
In Tulsa, you have to something for extreme heat and extreme cold. Those are always the easy jackets to find. The in between jackets are a bitch. I ended up buying a PowerTripp called the PowerShift. It has leather upper arms and shoulders. The outside of the jacket zips off to convert to a mesh jacket. Plus there is an addition windproof/waterproof liner. It has removable CE armor and the outside shell had excellent zipper vents.

I've left Tulsa in the 100 degree heat for the Rockies of Colorado and the Jacket just does everything well.

http://www.power-trip.com/products.cfm?products_id=225
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 2:22 pm

Try This

You might try the Joe Rocket Alter Ego. I've had mine for two years and wear it all the time. It's a convertible jacket that I've used from 40f to over 100f. Comes with a rain liner thats very warm and has a removable outer shell that zips off with mesh under. It has CE armor and is very comfortable. Buy one size up so you can wear a sweatshirt and youll be good to go.

Steve
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66GT
Just buy a windbraker in a larger size and wear it over your mesh. Cheap, funtional, and small enough to go into any bag when it gets too warm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode