k1200RS Seat height question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2016, 8:24 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

k1200RS Seat height question

Newbie K1200RS owner here:

I have read all the posts on how to adjust the seat to high or low.

None seem to work on my bike. It's one position and that is it.

Yes I see the high low attachments points under the seat.

That seems to make no difference. When it goes on it is in one position only.
Take out the tools, no difference.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

When I put the seat on I have no idea what positon it is in and I see no way to know what position it is in.

Can you see or how does one tell what position the seat is in when it goes on the bike.?

Also, 1998 with 9k on it. The seat cover has pulled off the staples that hold the cover on.

The middle two staples on each side are still tight on the seat frame, but the cover has torn through and come off the staples. (the cover material looks and feels very cheap.

Has this happened to others? (it will probably be a cheap fix too.)

All that being said the K1200RS is one hell of a bike.

Last edited by Clarkkent; Aug 17th, 2016 at 9:23 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2016, 11:47 pm
Addict

The KRS saddle is one of the most frustrating things about the bike. All I can suggest is to a) read the manual (it's online if you don't have a hard copy) and b) keep fiddling. Honest. The more you see of the back of the tupperware, the lower the seat. Honest.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2016, 9:49 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
The KRS saddle is one of the most frustrating things about the bike. All I can suggest is to a) read the manual (it's online if you don't have a hard copy) and b) keep fiddling. Honest. The more you see of the back of the tupperware, the lower the seat. Honest.

Thank you very much!

I knew it! --"The more you see of the back of the tupperware, the lower the seat. Honest."

It's a "ZEN" thing!

I just knew my seat had a mind of it's own.

I will get the height down. Even if I have to let some air out of the tires! < last resort!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2016, 11:57 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkkent
Newbie K1200RS owner here:

I have read all the posts on how to adjust the seat to high or low.

None seem to work on my bike. It's one position and that is it.

Yes I see the high low attachments points under the seat.

That seems to make no difference. When it goes on it is in one position only.
Take out the tools, no difference.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

When I put the seat on I have no idea what positon it is in and I see no way to know what position it is in.

Can you see or how does one tell what position the seat is in when it goes on the bike.?
Unless you have practice the routine to set seat in High position, I doubt very much you seat is in high.

When you close it, Its natural tendency is to fall in LOW position, unless you really insist to put in high. The technique is easier to demonstrate when in front of bike.

Look at attached picture: if you see a large gap as shown with Yellow arrows, then you are in High. Otherwise this gap is very small and you are in LOW (default and most common position used by most riders shorter than 6 feet).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS (2001-2005) Seat-in-High-position.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	20770  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2016, 11:09 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Unless you have practice the routine to set seat in High position, I doubt very much you seat is in high.

When you close it, Its natural tendency is to fall in LOW position, unless you really insist to put in high. The technique is easier to demonstrate when in front of bike.

Look at attached picture: if you see a large gap as shown with Yellow arrows, then you are in High. Otherwise this gap is very small and you are in LOW (default and most common position used by most riders shorter than 6 feet).

Thanks for the photo. (nice bike too)

I will check mine tomorrow.

On the seat cover coming off the staples in the middle on both sides.

I took it to the guy who recovered our kitchen chairs.

He stapled it really well with about 6 staples on both sides in 30 seconds with an air stapler. No charge. (but he is getting a case beer!)

Still One hell of a bike!!!

Anyone had an K1200 RS and then got a k1200S or a K1300S?

I need a comparison. I would not get rid of the 1200RS, I'd just get a k1200S or a K1300S. (or would another 1200RS be just as good?) (have another house in a different city and need a K bike there too. I just thought a different one might be interesting.

Which is better 2 up. the 1200RS, 1200S or 1300S?

I love the riding position of the RS as I too old to bend over much more. So if the S models are a more radical riding position I might have to pass and get another RS.

Last edited by Clarkkent; Aug 18th, 2016 at 11:18 pm.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2016, 11:41 pm
cws

Quote:
Which is better 2 up. the 1200RS, 1200S or 1300S?
The K1200LT, but then it ain't quite the same "sports" bike

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2016, 7:36 am
Addict

6' and lovin' the low position, even for 300 mile days. Maybe it's the small tank and large fuel consumption (relative to an RT, for example) and the ~120-140 mile fill-ups that allow something like stretch.Or traffic lights - depending on the route.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2016, 12:51 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson
6' and lovin' the low position, even for 300 mile days. Maybe it's the small tank and large fuel consumption (relative to an RT, for example) and the ~120-140 mile fill-ups that allow something like stretch.Or traffic lights - depending on the route.
To para phrase the movie Pinocchio, --- , "Hi diddly dee it the lower seat for me"

I took the RS out for a 75 miles spin yesterday. I wasn't fast. Up a winding road. (and down again). One section 120 mph to get the cobwebs out.

I got 43 mpg. No bags and just me, altitude 3600'. I can't go more than 150 miles without a stop for ME and the bike.

Keep sending those comparisons of the K1200RS, K1200S and K1300S.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2016, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor

OK, here is a photo of my seat. It show "Low Position" Compared to your photo. Correct?

The photo really, really helped! Thanks, and for all the other suggestions. I put the seat in the first click and then got on and slid forward. The results are in the photo!

Now I can "Gladly" wear out the whole bottom of my boots rather than just the toes!

That photo is terrible. Sorry. Here is what the bike looks like in the sunlight.
Woops, Sorry, wrong bike. (actually It's a Valkyrie Dragon. I have a Valkyrie and am trying to get one of these if I can fine one. They are customs from Japan.

Here is my K1200RS when cleaned up!

Last edited by Clarkkent; Aug 20th, 2016 at 11:48 am.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2016, 3:49 pm
Addict

Quote:
OK, here is a photo of my seat. It show "Low Position" Compared to your photo. Correct?

The photo really, really helped! Thanks, and for all the other suggestions. I put the seat in the first click and then got on and slid forward. The results are in the photo!
Based on your photo, there NO DOUBT you are in low seat position now.

As I posted earlier, is it not easy to explain on paper how to set it in high position. The owners manual has a short paragraph about this AND many have tried to explain in forum. BUT.... history show that most new owner will undertand the trick if is demonstrated a few times in front of bike "live". Even with this demonstration, you will probably swear the concept was designed by the devil ;-)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode