ABS Lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2016, 12:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

ABS Lights

Searching the forums, I find ABS discussions about post 02 RS's but not my 01.
After having forlornly sitting on the center stand since May, outside, under cover, (I did start her up and let her come up to temp about once a week.) I was finally able to ride today. All seemed normal except the blinking red ABS lights will not go out.
I only rode around the block before I came home.
Is it safe to ride? Fluid levels are good. I didn't brake hard enough to trigger ABS but they felt normal. (as best I remember)
Will it reset by itself or is there a secret handshake to reset? Or is something really broken?
Is she just mad because her replacement arrived today? I told her she could stay.

I have SS brake lines to install. The front is especially spongy. So its new lines and pads but I'm concerned about the blinking lights.

Thanks for any insight.

...bob...

…bob...

01 - K12RS
72 - R75/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Enthusiast

normally it will not reset itself. Is the battery 100% charged? Has bike fell over?
somewhere in my stack of notes, I have a procedure to reset flashing ABS lites, will have to look thru notes.
Do the lites flash together, or do they flash alternately?

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2016, 11:12 pm
cws

Sailor (on I-BMW and BMWLT.com) is probably the best resource for ABS stuff.
start hunting the threads here

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 12:32 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks guys.

…bob...

01 - K12RS
72 - R75/5
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2016, 9:20 am
Veteran

Yes to the new brake lines.Install and bleed,a very good start to the repair them rubber lines are getting well known for failures.

If the lights still flash after that they can be reset.

Google? "It works!!!ABS 2 fault reset(long)" should take you to the method on the K1200LT forum.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2016, 3:21 pm
Addict

Do NOT install the new lines until you've resolved the problem! The last thing you want to do is add a new variable to the problem.

Yes, be 100% sure the battery is 100% charged. Sitting, overnight (it matters), on a bench or completely disconnected in the bike, the rest voltage is 12.8V. Anything below 12.7 means the battery isn't charged, If you can't get there, have the battery load tested. Low voltage can give the two-red lights blinking problem. BTDT

Since you didn't report loss of braking (you'll know!), I'd look at the battery, first, and then the ABS sensors. It's possible that one or both are no longer at the correct distance from the rings. BTDT See the Clymer manual for adjusting the sensor gap.

Assuming the brake fluid is up to the marks on the front and rear reservoirs (if not, why not?), here's an off-the-wall possibility. The lights flash, and the brakes are 100%. If the level sensor switch for either reservoir says the fluid's low... flashing lights. BTDT, too. The rear sensor went out in my KRS. Finding a spare was ...um... interesting.

If all of the above doesn't change things, all that's left is to bleed the system and hope for the best. Before starting the job, a small question: when was the last time the brake fluid was replaced? Brake fluid likes to absorb moisture and the only "cure" is to flush the system with new fluid.

IMNSHO, unless you're familiar with brake systems, once you've done the easy stuff, time to let the pros at the job. It's possible the ABS controller has failed or is going, something is leaking,,, lots of possibilities. Unless you want to get into learning to read codes, etc.... yep, the pros.

BTW, idling or even revving until the temperature comes up isn't enough. Chances are the exhaust system, particularly at the muffler end, hasn't fully warmed up. Exhaust gas plus moisture equals forming acids which leads to perforated exhaust plumbing. As long as the battery stays on a trickle charger, you're better off leaving the bike alone.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2016, 7:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

The lights flash alternately.
I do have some front brake loss. A lot of travel before catching.
I have a front master cylinder rebuild kit coming to local dealer tomorrow. Speigler lines awaiting install.
As an engineer, I understand the concept of not changing things til this is resolved but it does seem like there is a problem with the front circuit. The new lines and rebuild will ensure clean bubble free juice. Will also check sensors. Have new HH pads for front as well.
Its a terrible thing leaving any bike out in FL weather but I have no garage here like I did in TN.
Updates as they occur...

…bob...

01 - K12RS
72 - R75/5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode