Barn Find! Yellow 2001 K1200RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2016, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Barn Find! Yellow 2001 K1200RS

Howdy. Noob to the site after having awesome Craigslist luck. I found a 1400 mile (yes, that's 1400 vice 14,000) 2001 model K1200RS for sale and found the deal too good to pass up. I this is my first time on a BMW and this is an amazing machine after coming off of Japanese bikes. This thing feels like it was milled from a solid block of aluminum. The previous owner was scared of the bike so he rarely rode it. He did keep up with the brake fluid changes and converted to stainless brake lines. It runs like a top. Ive ordered some new tires as with a 42nd week of year 2000 production date they have vastly exceeded their shelf life even though they are barely worn. Only problem I can see is an erratic full gauge. When full its at a quarter tank one minute and at half the next. It never does get to full even when the tank is topped off. Any pointers from the experienced crowd? I'm stoked to be a member of the community.

Addition: Had time over the last two days to put about 200 miles on the bike. Wow..just WOW! Other than the fuel gauge the only issue I can detect is very low fuel mileage. Cruising steadily 50-60 mph on 2 lane highway with empty side cases and me aboard (250 pounds) I was only able to get 32 mpg. I've not yet been able to collect up the service manuals but another poster had mentioned the necessity to reset the throttle by twisting it fully with engine off and switch on after a battery change (thinking the battery has been changed or dead sometime over the years). It this really a legit process on these bikes and could I expect to see an increase in fuel economy after I perform this? The bike seems to be performing just fine but I do not have a point of reference to compare to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160921_161404.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	20793  

Last edited by Aggie86; Sep 22nd, 2016 at 7:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:31 am

Barn find? Hell....that's a museum find! Spotless! While I can't really address your fuel gage or milage questions, I did see in the photo that it appears the small luggage rack over behind the seat has been removed. Also, you have a screw missing from the left saddlebag support. There should be three screws at the end of each support. Mine would work loose all the time until I put a drop of low-strength thread lock on them. Nice bike!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 10:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the sharp eye. I will get the screw situation taken care of pronto. Yes, I was very happy to more or less stumble upon this bike. I wasn't really in the market and had never ridden a BMW. To me maintaining a bike is just as enjoyable as riding the bike. I look forward to swapping out the tires, changing the fluids and hopefully sorting out the low fuel mileage issue and fuel guage issue. This feels like the perfect bike for the kind of riding that I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2017, 11:29 pm
Noob

Garage
You probably should have the fuel filter replaced. What part of the country do you live in?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2017, 8:09 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfi23 View Post
You probably should have the fuel filter replaced. What part of the country do you live in?
Welcome to the fun!

Agreed about the filter. Or, at the least, run a lot of Sea Foam carb cleaner though (2-3 tanks and, what the heck, ignore the instructions and toss the whole can in with each fill-up). If you don't have any stumbling issues, and idle is good (the "box of rocks" noise from the tranny is standard and no cause for alarm - I've seen a procedure to fix the one slightly loose bit, but that's a full tranny rebuild), I'd think more in terms of doing the plugs first. Typically I see 40-43 most of the time, with a slight drop with non-stop slabbing. 32 is certainly on the low side. AFAIK, the only fix for the gauge is a new sender. But first, pull it and clean up any varnish that's developed over time.

Check the fuel line quick disconnects (allows removing the tank without a lot of fiddling with fuel lines). If they're the original plastic QD's, replace them like it happened yesterday. They're known to fail, with the male bit shearing off. The risk is anywhere from instant "out of gas' to spilled gas on a hot exhaust pipe. 'Nuff said. Pirate's Lair, Bimmer Boneyard should have the replacement metal QD's on hand. Look through the opening on the right side and you should be able to see at least one of the QD's. The original QD's are white plastic. BMW issued a tech bulletin on these but doesn't seem to have been aggressive about it. Bad them... >:(

Having stainless brake lines is nice (IMHO, not really necessary) but there's still rubber inside the stainless. If the lines went on when the bike was still new, I'd be slightly suspicious of them. Dry rot is really ozone damage and ozone is everywhere in the air. It's something to worry about when you have nothing else to do. :)

The throttle thing. First, it is a real thing. It's used to calibrate the ECU (engine control unit - computer) to the TPS (throttle position switch). Turn the key on and roll the throttle from fully close to wide open and back three times, and you're done. No need to scream through turning or be slow as molasses, just roll the grip. However, it's highly unlikely this will affect mileage. It will only change how the throttle responds near the closed end of the throttle motion.

Think about the plugs and carb cleaner first. And replacing the air filter might help.

On fluids, having a regular brake drain and refill is a good thing. I'd do the same for the coolant, too.

There are just OK copies of the BMW manual floating around on the Internet. Get the Clymer manual anyway.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode