Shock Disposal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2016, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Shock Disposal

This could be a silly question, but here goes. I replaced both shocks on my 03 GT and want to get rid of them. I'm told they need special preparation, e.g., holes drilled into them, before anyone will take them. Is this true? Is it a hazardous process? Is there an easier alternative? Thanks in advance for your insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2016, 11:40 pm
cws

maybe that's just to drain the oil before someone recycles them (or landfill?)..... probably quicker than dis-assembling them...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2016, 3:18 pm
Addict

OK I met this on a pair of car tailgate struts. The issue only concerns GAS STRUTS AND SHOCKS. These are built using a compressed gas in the design and are not the older oil filled type. The concern is what happens in a recycling process if the already compressed gas strut is inside a waste compactor or rubbish compressor on a trash vehicle - they could explode like a pipe bomb!

I was nervous dealing with my struts, but I put each one in a vise then drilled a 1/16" hole about 1/3 of the way down the strut body. There was a gently hissing noise and a small amount of oil got released. In all not a very dramatic result, but the strut was then depressurized and rendered safe to dispose.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2016, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I assume the bike shocks are not gas filled?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2016, 2:46 pm
Addict

This is what Pirate says about Ohlins:
Quote:
Our choice for the FRONT Ohlin for your BMW K1200RS is a monotube high pressure gas type of shock absorber with internal reservoir with floating piston built into the main body.
Our choice for your REAR Ohlin shock is a spanktacularly good looking monotube high pressure gas type shock absorber with hose mounted external reservoir offering a 46mm piston
If you have Ohlins shocks you bought them because they can be serviced or repaired and wouldn't want to drill holes in them! If you had the OE shocks you would know when they were worn out (apparently) and since they are not repairable you might as well drill a hole for kicks. I'm not 100% sure if the OE Showas are a gas strut but you want to get rid of them as fast as possible when they wear out. IF BMW say they should be made safe and there is no sign of leaking oil on a bad shock then assume it is gas filled. By far the biggest safety issue to yourself is getting springs on and off. Bike shock springs are not so huge, but I had a near death 'BOING' experience once with a car strut when the spring compressor slid. Since my workshop roof now shows evidence of the event I'm much more cautious working on shocks and springs.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode