Tank bags - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Tank bags

Hello all,
I have been looking for a tank bag that would not ruin my paint. The only one that i found was a Marsee. I bought it, but I am not thrilled with how high it sits on the tank. I may return it for one with straps but, as I mentioned I hope to avoid marking up the tank. By the way this is for a GT. I was looking on Marsee's website and found they had a few seat bags that might work for small storage. There was one bag that I came across on the web but I can't remember where; that was quite small but attached with small spike like connectors to the tank. I don't think I would mind a seat bag as long as I could have some sort of small tank bag with a map pocket.

I'm up for some suggestions.

Thank you
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 7:42 am
Veteran

I have a Big Mak. I am very happy with it.
Bruce C
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:33 am

I have the Big Mak as well as a Wunderlich rear seat bag for thr K12RS. The seat bag can only be bought from BMW Santa Cruz,call them as the seatbag is not on thier web site. The combo is just what is needed for around town,along with an RS tinted windscreen. Looks cool and does the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:35 am
Addict

I've got a rather large Held tank bag for my bike. I too was worried about the paint being scratched, so I use a piece of the rubber/foam stuff people use as cabiner shelf liner. It's washable and it keeps the tank bag in place when you're riding.

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:47 pm
Riding in company

More questions

I'm in the market for a tank bag, too. Like Ben, I like the idea of a rigidly mounted bag which "floats" above the paint. I've found the following:

Big Mak http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/BigMak/?Item=BMA

Tank Locker http://www.luggagelocker.com/tanklocker.html

SW-Motech http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/332/

Comments about these products will be welcome. If you think that all of these suck then I would be happy to hear about that too.

Thanks, Bill (just another guy who is absolutely floored by his new RS with about 150 miles on it)

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92

Last edited by BillA; Oct 18th, 2005 at 8:50 pm. Reason: inserted dupe URL
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:59 pm

You might also want to check out the Chicane tank bags. If you are worried about the paint issue, regardless of what type of back you are useing, then you might want to get a clear vinyl tank protector. I know there is one out there that is cut specifically for our tanks that covers the center section from the yoke down tot he seat (I think). Altohugh I forgot the sellers name - I'm sure someone will yell it out.

ONON-
Mark
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 9:09 pm

Thumbs up

Ditto on the Chicane. AWESOME product that is well made and fits great on my GT. Best tank bag I have ever used bar none.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 9:43 pm

Cool tank bag for GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan44
Hello all,
I have been looking for a tank bag that would not ruin my paint. The only one that i found was a Marsee. I bought it, but I am not thrilled with how high it sits on the tank. I may return it for one with straps but, as I mentioned I hope to avoid marking up the tank. By the way this is for a GT. I was looking on Marsee's website and found they had a few seat bags that might work for small storage. There was one bag that I came across on the web but I can't remember where; that was quite small but attached with small spike like connectors to the tank. I don't think I would mind a seat bag as long as I could have some sort of small tank bag with a map pocket.

I'm up for some suggestions.

Thank you
Ben
Ben go to www.PiratesK12site.net they have the small tank bag that you are talking about. GO to the K12 parts page and go all the way to the bottom of the page and click on K12 news letter there you will find the tank bag and the clear film to protect your paint too if you think you need it, GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by luke15; Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:01 pm. Reason: did not finish directions
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 9:45 pm
dez

I've been using a Marsee Mr. Pockets 20L quick release bag on my GT for a long time - no issues with paint. They also make a smaller version with a map window - the Mighty mini - check it out.

http://www.marseeproducts.com/cgi-lo...7de+1130190981

no affiliations just a happy customer.

dez
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:20 pm
Enthusiast

+1 on the Chicane Canyon EX tank bag. More discussion at

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

and

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode