That's gonna leave a mark. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2016, 10:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
That's gonna leave a mark.

Wanted to go for a ride this weekend. My 02 K1200RS idling in the driveway on the kick stand decided I was taking too long and tried to leave with out me. The driveway has a slight down slope. I've done this a hundred times the last few months and I guess got away with it. Just not the hundred and one time. My 5 year old grandson came out, looked over the carnage, shook his head, looked up at me and said "Grandpa, these things just happen. You just gotta clam down". Out of the mouths of babes.
The reason for the post is I saw a recycling web site with a ton of K1200 plastics. Any recommendations out there? I am looking for the Upper cowling piece that the turn signals set in to. Goes under the head light. Be Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2016, 4:04 pm
Addict-oholic

Beemer Boneyard. look them up. They are great.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 4:40 pm
Noob

Garage
Ricochet I feel for ya, same thing happened to me this spring. If you search the forums you'll find lots of company. Agree on Beemer Boneyards, but also ebay has some fairing parts. In the process of fixing and painting my fairings I found out there is such a thing as "plastic welding", so depending on how bad your piece is broken and how hard it is to find a replacement you might look into it. Another option to consider - ship it to the guy that fixed/painted my pieces, he did an outstanding job. He actually painted the K1200RS and other stripes that were decals - now there are no edges to catch dirt/wax build-up! You can find him at bdscycles.com

Good luck!

2003 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 5:07 pm
Addict

+1 on Beemer Boneyard. Is the plastic dinged or cracked? Dings can be sorted out. Cracks can be fixed, too, but it's harder to do right.

And ...um... leave the bike in gear if you must park nose down. And, yes, that means never walking off while the motor's ticking over.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2016, 9:47 am
Addict

Try Duncan's Beemers, www.duncansbeemers.com. He came up with a primo left pannier bag for me, and at a great price.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 8:46 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay View Post
Beemer Boneyard. look them up. They are great.
Problem with those guys is they never have anything in stock.

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous.
It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2016, 2:04 pm
Addict

I've had plastics repaired and repainted

... Just Once! I got a used side panel wrong color and my original which was cracked. Messed about getting parts off and the fan grills were a pain, but put both into a body shop for repair and paint with the BMW recommended German paint. They heat welded stainless steel mesh to the back of the panel acros the crack as re-inforcement (essential), V grooved along the crack line, heat welded and filler over the top and rear, then repaint.

Both side panels came back like new. I fitted the worst that had the crack repair and kept the other for next time (?). The repaired panel is still on the bike 3 years on and the repair has held firm.

If you want a decent repair done leave it to a body shop.

I'm always careful parking on slopes and don't leave the bike idling unless I'm across the saddle. I learned that after finding out my stand and shift interlocks were not working. On a down slope, always set the shift to 1st, but check your interlocks work in case you forget!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2016, 6:30 pm
Addict

OT but... has anyone checked to see if the interlocks keep your rear wheel from spinning while on the center stand? I've had both a new RT and K1600 that would go into gear, with the motor running, while on the center stand. Imagine the thrill of dropping off the stand with the wheel spinning. Woohoo! Or OMG!!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2016, 5:07 am
Addict

There is no interlock switch is the center stand. If the sidestand is raised and in gear the bike is ready to go! Which is why I always kick the sidestand down, even when on the center stand. What happened to me was I got in a bad habit of parking on the sidestand and starting the bike to idle whilst not sat on the saddle. If the interlocks don't work the bike can leap forwards on the starter and give you and the bike a big fright. If the bike was idling in gear on the center stand with you sat on it I think it would probably stall as you pushed it off. but at least both hands and feet are in the right place. You should spot it because the rear wheel and tire are never perfect balance and without a flywheel the rotation is faster, lumpy and a lot different compared to idle with a little oil drag.

I concluded the interlocks were for idiots like me that wanted to start the bike whilst not sat on it and I don't do it anymore.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Nov 16th, 2016 at 5:14 am.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2016, 12:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Thank you all for the response. Plastic welded the panel. Ya gotta love U Tube. Had some 1/4" lexan plastic laying around to form/ reinforce the tabs that where broken that hold the clips for the screws. That worked out great. Found many nose fairings on E Bay only looking closely they where in worse shape than mine.
It's back on for now. Weather turned and it's been weeks sense the last ride. Took it out around the lake last weekend. Was good to go for a ride.
I gotta say I am very impressed with the mirrors. In a crazy kind of way they saved the bike from being damaged worse. When it went over the mirror hit my other bike that was right next to it. It slide down the side to the motor and hit the ground. A little scuffing and of course out of adjustment but that was it. Because the mirror was a little flexible it did no damage to my other bike. I got really lucky. Could have been a lot worse.
Lastly, Yeah ass in the seat when it's running. Less chance of damage and my wife killing me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode