To Sell or not to Sell...That is the question! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2016, 7:40 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

To Sell or not to Sell...That is the question!

I have been a lurker for many years, but I have had BMW bikes for the last 15 years, my BMW rider is a K1200GT, but I also own a K1200RS.
My 2002 RS has only 3000 original miles, has been in my garage neglected for 8 years, I have brought it back to the US, Surprise AZ.
Since it has not ridden much for a number of years, what maintenance should I do to it?
My back doesnt like the K1200RS, I may get a Harley...
Any thoughts? currently it has Canadian registration, but I can very easily have it brought into US legal status.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2016, 8:47 pm
Addict

Given what you said about your back, seems to me you made the decision.

Change the fluids, replace the tires (probably showing dry rot (really ozone damage) cracks, go over the rest of the rubber for the same reason, and change the QD's (your NO will benefit from it). If you're going to sell in the US, change the bike's nationality, of course.

Harley? C'mon. Do you think your back will thank you for it? Think about chasing down a K1300GT or a K1600GT (if you afford a Harley, you can afford a K1600).

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2016, 8:44 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you...I ma Just change its nationality, it was American, so it should be easy...
Went to a local Indy and he quoted 450.00 for labour only to change all the fluids, worst part is that he couldn't fit my schedulle.
I think I will do my own transmission and engine oil change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2016, 9:36 am
Addict

Well, the brakes aren't simple, but oil and coolant are not that hard. If that shop is your only choice, I guess that answers that - is there nobody else you can talk to? I'd ask for how the estimate was put together. And, of course, it helps to know what the hourly rate is.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 9:01 am

You have to do the brake fluid for sure. The last thing you want is the ABS going bad while trying to sell it due to bad fluid. I went from an 03 K12 to a K16. I suggest you check out the K16. Its a beast with the side bags on but great without the side bags. Try it and you'll probably buy it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 9:38 pm
Addict

With the introduction of the new K1600 that meets Euro-4 pollution specs and have the optional backup motor, I'll bet the older K1600's will show up at good prices. Two thoughts about the K1600. Be very sure you can flatfoot the bike. If it's marginal, either plan on lowering it (or at least the saddle) or look elsewhere. And be sure you're in charge of the bike. I've seen a few owners who appear to be intimidated by the bike. If you can't take charge, look elsewhere. All of that said, this is a sweet bike. it means business, and it will take you where you want to go in style. And ..um.. leave the bags on. The bike looks naked without them, and where are you going to put stuff when you stop for lunch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode