Unidentified extra rubbers - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2016, 2:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unidentified extra rubbers

Does anyone recognise these rubbers? One was squished under my battery and the other was sat loose in the abs controller well next door. They are about 17 diameter and 17 long. I get worried by strays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushes.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	21153  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Loose parts found where they should not be. That can be a stumper. If I had to guess (and that's all it is) I'd say they could be rubber seat mounts. Since the seat gets removed a lot, they may have pulled loose and fallen down to where you found them. Next time I pull my seat off, I'll take a look.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2016, 5:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you. That was my though but can't see what they may sit on. The seat appears to locate on metal pins that are a fit to seat under moulding. The battery had been changed before i got the bike so that does suggest seat rubbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2016, 6:34 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBrown View Post
Does anyone recognise these rubbers? One was squished under my battery and the other was sat loose in the abs controller well next door. They are about 17 diameter and 17 long. I get worried by strays.
These 2 rubbers go between the battery lower box and the battery cover. See attached photo AND attached parts diagram from BMW.

Normally when you remove the battery cover (2 long screws from top), these 2 rubbers stay attached with the screws as there is enough friction between their small inner holes and the screw threads. It is NOT required to pull these 2 long screws completely up - just unscrew enough from lower battery box AND after you pull cover up and everything should stay together (metal cover + screws + rubbers).

These rubber are not critical as the battery cover can be attached without these. However, they serve as some form of cushion and vibration damping for some battery that fit fairly tight within the box. Some 3rd party replacement equivalent battery are just a bit higher or lower than the stock battery, so these rubber might not compress in some installation.

You are NOT the 1st rider asking this.... so other have done the same mistake when removing the battery cover ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Battery_Tray_rubber.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	21161   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Battery_Tray_PARTS.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	21169  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sailor; Dec 26th, 2016 at 6:40 am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2016, 7:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up

Amazing, thank you, I will sleep easy tonight once they are back in place. The previous owner had kindly put the new battery in, but not returned the rubbers to their rightful place. The only reason I found the one in the abs tray, was that I dropped one of the terminal screws in there when I removed the battery to make sure it was fully charged.
Thanks 'O wise one' and fountain of knowledge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode