Small fire/wire harness damage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2017, 8:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Small fire/wire harness damage

Good morning, Good people!
About a week ago I was filling my 2002 K1200RS (cruise control w/evo abs brakes) from a gas can. Some gas had spilled and though I had cleaned it up I didn't realize that some had pooled up on top of the engine. When I started the bike I had a small fire which did some damage to the wire harness before I could get it under control. All in all I would say that I was very lucky since there was very little damage to the bike and honestly it could have totaled my bike and caught my shop on fire.

I'm a gear head by birth and an aircraft technician/inspector by trade and very accustomed to modification so I have felt very comfortable with the repairs. The harness on the right side of the bike was damaged, the right radiator fan shroud warped, the left fan blades damaged. The bike ran even after the fire albeit poorly. I had many mixed signals in that harness! I "connected and repaired" the harness (about 30 wires) and it ran great after. The fan can be replaced no problem, but here comes the weird problem. While inspecting the bike I found no damage on the hydraulic clutch tube or anything in that area for that matter, but the clutch lever is frozen. Simply won't move, but it doesn't feel like its melted or damaged. It feels like something electromechanical is keeping it from moving. Like its locked in the position. There is a hair of movement (enough to throw the cruise control clutch switch, it seems...I can hear it) like it is free then it feels mechanically held in place. But I am unaware of any existing mechanism that does this, if any. The clutch is hydro and there is no fluid loss. There is nothing mechanical on the clutch line between the lever and the transmission. I am wondering if there is a safety switch or a anti theft device that has been engaged. Also I haven't tested the cruise control yet, but all other systems work great.

My bike would be back on the road if not for this. I would love some insight from any direction.

Thanks, guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Sounds like you have some type of hydraulic lock. Could the heat from the fire have melted or otherwise damaged the line enough to block it off? Make sure it isn't pinched anywhere. I can't remember how much of the line is metal tubing vs. rubber flex hose, but I'd look over every inch, just in case. Re-reading your post, I see you said you inspected the line. Try pulling the line at the slave, and squeezing the clutch lever to see if fluid comes out. If no, and the lever is still frozen, at least you will have isolated the problem somewhat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode