K1200RS -2003 - Using K1200GT Wind Deflectors - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RollingBrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 5:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question K1200RS -2003 - Using K1200GT Wind Deflectors

Hi all,
New member from Norway. Had BMWs since 2007, but only boxers, so yesterday i bought my first "flying brick". Supersmooth engine, and torquy! Some Cruisecontrol issues i have to fix, but i found good help on the forum, so i'm optimistic on getting it fixed...
However, it was rather windy in the pilot seat... I'm used to R1100RT and was sort on thinking this would be similar.

I see that the K1200GT has some additional wind protection for arms and legs. Can they also be fitted to K1200RS ?
Secondly, are there any aftermarket alternatives or will i need to purchase these from BMW.

Appreciate any help or comments

Werner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 5:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Note: I think the correct names are Front fairing extensions & Lower Wind deflectors (black rubber)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Yes, the plastic fairing extensions and the rubber leg extensions are "bolt-on" parts for the RS, but I think you will have to drill mounting holes in your fairing sides to fit the black rubber deflectors...not sure they are worth that much effort. The "hand protector" upper extensions may only require longer screws. You will see lots of pictures of RS bikes with them mounted, you can tell because the deflector parts are usually OEM black against whatever color the RS model is.
MaxViking likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

OK, thanks for the reply. :-)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 6:48 pm
Addict

AFAIK, they're still available from BMW. However, take a seat before looking at the prices. And, no, they don't show up often in boneyards (the ones that do have ...um... marked cosmetic defects) or auction sites.

See Max BMW's parts list for the scary details. One interesting change, the leg guards are now one piece per instead of an upper and lower part per side.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode