Slight lean to left "normal?" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Slight lean to left "normal?"

Is it normal for the k1200gt to lean a bit to the left. It just seems even on straight and level highway it still leans just slightly to the left. I would assume this is because of the gyro rotation of the transverse motor have the natural balance a bit of a lean. And I hadn't notice until reading up on it but I notice I have to keep a slight forward force on the left handle bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 6:12 pm
Addict

I don't know, next time there is ice on the road, roll it out slowly and then with the tranny in neutral rev the engine hard. The answer to your question will become apparent. Post results.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 6:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrypcman View Post
Is it normal for the k1200gt to lean a bit to the left. It just seems even on straight and level highway it still leans just slightly to the left. I would assume this is because of the gyro rotation of the transverse motor have the natural balance a bit of a lean. And I hadn't notice until reading up on it but I notice I have to keep a slight forward force on the left handle bar.
Something isn't right. The bike should be running vertical when going straight on a flat or low camber road.

I've never seen a torque reaction from the motor. Even if it did happen, it should fade out with constant throttle.

Check the tire wear - if it's really left of center, there you are. OTOH, could it be how you sit or if you've packed one of the panniers (side bags) with heavy stuff? The stock muffler is heavy, but the bike is balanced with that weight in mind. That's not the culprit.

Either something's wonky with the bike, it's poorly loaded, or you're sitting off-center.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2017, 4:11 am
Noob

I have noticed with my K1200GT that if I take my hands off the bars while riding it veers left. I have researched this and it is due to gyroscopic procession of the shaft drive. It is normal and nothing to worry about.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2017, 11:57 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastus View Post
I have noticed with my K1200GT that if I take my hands off the bars while riding it veers left. I have researched this and it is due to gyroscopic procession of the shaft drive. It is normal and nothing to worry about.
Uh... not so much. The bike should track straight. In any event, wheel procession matters far more than the shaft (which I'd count as negligable). What source said it's the shaft?

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrypcman View Post
Not normal at all. In 139000 mi on the GT I occasionally have noticed pulling slightly one way or another, but only if the front tire is badly worn. An abnormally crowned road can sometimes do the same thing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2017, 10:12 am

I've seen a couple of small complaints on rear tire wear. On 12+13s (forums). Left side wear, two up and luggage, after a several thousand mile trip.

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode