possable brake problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2017, 12:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cool possable brake problem

I have just bought myself a 2003 K1200RS in the Uk, the bike seems fine but curious if the brakes/abs are working correctly. The bike has ABS rings on the wheels but the lights on the display do not light up at any time, and wonder if they have been disconected, I dont have a light that says ABS but one that says brake failier. The brakes do seem to take a hard pull on the front to stop the bike but it will brake hard if you pull very hard. Im worried that if these lights do not come on, it will fail a MOT in the UK. Many thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2017, 10:17 pm
Addict

The lights never, ever come on, or just not while riding?

Two lights should blink after you start the engine: the ABS light and the master caution light. Roll about 10-15 yards and they should both stop blinking. If this doesn't happen, you have a potential problem.

What happens when you just turn on the ignition? What lights turn on (list all of them)?

With the ignition switched on, grab the front brake lever hard. You should hear an electric motor whine and the sound should be from somewhere near the front forks. If not, you don't have ABS. Good luck with your MOT...

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2017, 4:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your reply, when I turn the ignition on I get an oil warning, temp warning, and neutral, no other lights, If I pull the front brake lever nothing...no motor noise, then when the bike is running the temp and oil go out but still neither of the brake warning lights
The brake lines disapear under the fuel tank and have not been shorterned to by pass anything, the rear brake light works fine with both front and rear application and the spedo works fine,
The rear brake works fine, but the front brake needs a firm grip to bit but its general ability is fine, and Im thinking with some nice front pads it could be improved...any thoughts?
Cheers guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2017, 11:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

Update on the brake lines.... I bleed the brakes today and discovered the rear brakes have been disconnected from the servo, it now has its own little circuit by the rear wheel ... The front lines disappear under the fuel tank but I suspect they are disconnected as well with a possible u piece fitted to bypass the abs unit... brakes seem a bit better having blead front and rear. . But not test riden yet..out tomorrow
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2017, 9:01 pm
Addict

Someone disconnected the ABS. Sorry 'bout that. Dunno where that leaves you with the MOT. IMHO, I'd either get the ABS going again (very not cheap) or unload the bike. Good luck with that as you should disclose the ABS is gone. I hope you didn't pay a lot for the bike. You might be down to parting out.

I know some people think disconnecting the ABS/servo system is a great idea. Some people think parachute jumping with a 'chute they didn't personally pack is OK, too. [/pitying head shake]

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode