03 GT Running Too Hot - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2017, 1:36 am Thread Starter
Noob

03 GT Running Too Hot

I've got an 03 GT with 45k on the odometer. Last year I ignorantly topped off the coolant by simply adding about 1-16 ounces to the reservoir under the seat. After doing so, I noticed that at around 4000-5000 RPM at lower speeds for extended periods of time (few miles) the needle on the temp gauge gets closer to the red mark. I already checked on the fan operation and they're working fine. So I decided to flush the cooling system as per the official BMW Service manual. I added about 3 ounces of water wetter for added measure. A friend of mine who is a BMW mechanic told me that I need to stop looking at the gauge and only worry if the red light on the panel comes on. He also said that if I drive it long enough, the bubbles will work themselves out (if there are any in the system.)
Tonight during a mild 50 mile ride in 75 degree weather, the same thing happened. At 80 mph on the highway, the needle was even under the halfway mark. Again, at 4-5 thousand RPM at lower speeds, the needle climbed up again closer to the red line but not touching the line. I pulled into a Sheetz and let it run for about 10 minutes. The fans were working but the needle jumped to the red line, but again, no panel light.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Needle.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	21729  

bmwvuk1200
2003 Orient Blue K1200GT
Limerick, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2017, 3:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvuk1200 View Post
I've got an 03 GT with 45k on the odometer. Last year I ignorantly topped off the coolant by simply adding about 1-16 ounces to the reservoir under the seat. After doing so, I noticed that at around 4000-5000 RPM at lower speeds for extended periods of time (few miles) the needle on the temp gauge gets closer to the red mark. I already checked on the fan operation and they're working fine. So I decided to flush the cooling system as per the official BMW Service manual. I added about 3 ounces of water wetter for added measure. A friend of mine who is a BMW mechanic told me that I need to stop looking at the gauge and only worry if the red light on the panel comes on. He also said that if I drive it long enough, the bubbles will work themselves out (if there are any in the system.)
Tonight during a mild 50 mile ride in 75 degree weather, the same thing happened. At 80 mph on the highway, the needle was even under the halfway mark. Again, at 4-5 thousand RPM at lower speeds, the needle climbed up again closer to the red line but not touching the line. I pulled into a Sheetz and let it run for about 10 minutes. The fans were working but the needle jumped to the red line, but again, no panel light.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance
I agree with your machnic. YMMV

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Really, it sounds like a normal 1200GT. I have an 03 as well, and the bike runs hot in slow or stop and go traffic. Not boiling over hot, or red light hot, but the temp needle moves too far up the gage for comfort. When the fan comes on (there's only one, on the left radiator as I recall) you should see the temp needle move down as least a little bit from the red zone. At least mine does when the fan kicks on, not much, but at least it shows the fan is helping. These bikes most defiantly need to be kept moving to keep their cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2017, 8:55 pm
Veteran

Fans, OP is right, Fans. Not Fan.

I think your radiators need cleaning.45Ks of dirt/sand/bug crap and even road tar will impede the cooling speed.And not a cleaning with soap and hose,all that may achieve is to push crap at the FanS motor shafts and seize them.Proper cleaning is remove the rads and soak them in soapy water.Then look through them and see if they are free of crap.

Darn tedious job pushing crap/sand out with a little plastic tool but should be done once in a while.

Close to the red line? Never in 175,000 kms.On the road? 1/8" below the mid-mark with clean rads.

Halfway between the mid-mark and the red is where both fans will come on.May go a little higher in very hot weather as the fans cool the coolant but never close to the red.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode