Hello! Excited to join the community... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ClancyO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2017, 7:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hello! Excited to join the community...

I've spent the last 2 weeks trolling these boards looking for common issues, problems, concerns with these machines before I finally pulled he trigger on an 03 GT. Prior original owner was meticulous, despite letting it sit for a number of years, but did pony up almost $1900 worth of work (fluids, fuel line, brake system o-rings, ect) before offering it for sale. Bike is absolutely cherry with barely 4K (miles) on the odometer.. I won't have it registered until the end of the week, and it was painful not riding on the epic summer day we had here today. Looking forward to learning more and becoming a part of the community.
Rager likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2017, 11:31 pm
Noob

Garage
Welcome, I have a 98 RS and have put almost 2K miles on it since purchasing in March. There is a wealth of information here.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2017, 1:29 pm
Noob

Welcome and I know you will enjoy the new (to you) bike. What did you ride before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Only 4K miles! Amazing how many of these bikes are still out here with very low miles. I picked up my 03 GT with about 6k on it and I have doubled that in a year. (could have been more, but I have other bikes that vie for my attention!) You were fortunate to fine an example that the previous owner was willing to spend the cash needed to make it current. Good luck, and let us know how you like it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2017, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Noob

4 wheel cages. And quite a bit of bicycling.. (2-5k miles a year until recently.) I've had my motorcycle license for 18+ years, but never owned a bike. I had a friend way back when I originally got my license who had a Suzuki 650 cruiser (big ole single cylinder) - I put ~500 miles on that bike, but the K is the first bike I've owned. And it is EXACTLY what I was looking for - ABS & creature comforts, but still basically 'old school' - no rev-match, clutchless shift, riding modes - etc - Just what every rider *should* know how to do to be a good, safe responsible rider. I just got it registered Tuesday and already have 150 miles on it. I am over the moon in love with this bike.

It need tires (they are still the original - plenty of tread and no dry-rot, but age is clearly a problem). And the ABS light doesn't stop blinking until I'm rolling, but I found that thread and will track that issue down tomorrow (levels/sensor gap most likely).

The previous owner was very genuine. It was his 3rd bike (second was a K100RS) - his primary riding buddy quit riding and sold his bike (same bike in Blue), but it took my owner a bit longer to part with his. End of that life chapter - he gave me all his gear too - some very impressive gear..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2017, 10:59 pm

ABS blink is normal. Gotta be rolling a few mph to shut it off.

For a brief bit week or two on mine the RED triangle blinked, not correct. ABS was properly functioning, I happened to test it. -God I do love this bike.

Dealer looked it over and perhaps did something with the computer. Though he also added rear brake juice. I recently had the fuel tank out to fix a buggered fuel fitting, yeah the one that takes a magician to remove and install. What a PIA. Who ever "fixed" the recalled fuel pump (I assume) munged that fitting. Not a five minute job and the hoses/ lines are too short IMO.

In any event there are two brake lines running alone the frame and they were weeping fluid. A tiny bit over the last X years no doubt. I took the bracket off the frame and loosened and retightened both fittings that evidently others had missed. Another reason why I'm real comfortable doing my own work!

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode