K1200RS ABS Delete - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2017, 11:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200RS ABS Delete

I have purchased a 2003 K1200RS that the po has bypassed the ABS. All the excess lines have been removed and the u bends installed to reattach the front and rear brakes. I have no brake light, cruise control or speedometer. The bike still has the pump hooked up. I have removed the pump body, separated it from the ABS ecu, re-connected the ecu, checked both brake signals and power (both keyed and constant) at the bulk connector. I noticed it has a badly burned spot on the circuit board when I removed the ABS ecu. I suspect this is why I am not getting anything to work. My question being, is there any way to bypass the ABS ecu and get the speedo to work. I have googled my self blind and all I have worked out is the work around for the brake light. I did a bit of looking for an ABS ecu on a bad servo but have had no luck. As I understand it I should have everything functioning with the ABS ecu still connected and powered up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2017, 2:14 am
Noob

Garage
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	21865

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	604.5 KB
ID:	21873I have read in one of the forums of a member re-soldering the lands on a damaged PCB, is the damage such that you could repair it? Alternatively buy damaged ABS unit and use the circuit board from that.
Found the photos, it was on the I BMW forum.

Last edited by Alexmcc; Aug 7th, 2017 at 2:28 am. Reason: Add photos
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2017, 8:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

ECU Board

I would love to find a good ABS ecu portion. Not sure if that will happen very easily. My board is burned pretty bad. We have an electronics department at my work that is going to give it a look later this week. Where is the I BMW forum? Thx Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2017, 12:29 am
Noob

Garage
Ibmw.com
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2017, 9:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Ibmw

Oh got it, I thought you were referencing something on this site. Thx
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2017, 4:59 pm

On the servo-ABS units, it's the electric motors that usually fail, not the board. so finding one with intact circuit board should not be too hard. I'd try Beemerboneyard.com Give them a call and tell them you are looking for a non-working servo-abs unit with the electrics intact for parts. There are plenty of failed units out there, just have to find one for your bike. They pop up from time to time on Ebay, as well. A bit of a gamble, I'll admit, since there is no way to know what part of the unit has failed, but you have to start somewhere. Since you need a "non-working" unit for parts, should be real cheap. Another source might be Module Masters in Moscow, Idaho. They have been trying to come up with a rebuild for these servo units for years. If nothing else, they should be familiar with what you are looking for.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2017, 9:09 pm
Noob

Garage
http://www.i-bmw.com/

I have had good success with parts from Motorworks UK - https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php

I totally removed my ABS a couple years ago now and reckon the bike is better IMO.
GaryS-NJ likes this.

Regards.
Ray
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 5:39 am
Noob

rmontey, I have a 2003 K 1200 RS that I am wanting to remove the ABS on where can I find specific instructions on how to do that? Thanks, Mark
GaryS-NJ likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Do a search under: "K1200 ABS-ectomy" or K1200 ABS removal. Lots of info on line how to do it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Noob

I've just completed an ABS-Ectomy last weekend. It's not for the faint hearted and takes about 6 hours.

I bought the kit from Motorworks, removed the ABS unit, the old brake lines, took the warning bulb out of the dash and removed the ABS relay.

On the GT it's a fairing and tank off job. I removed the ABS control board off the ABS unit, fastened a box and recounted on the bike, this gives you your brake light and Speedo back.

For the UK guys. Insurance. Yes I've told mine and good job too as they refused to continue cover.

MOT. I've had a word with a mate who is an MOT Centre and yes it will fail if there are any red warning lights on, flashing or otherwise. The rule is "if it's fitted it MUST work".

I've done a test ride and it rides and stops great.

Regards and Ride Safe

K1200 GT
K100 Naked (Running Resto)

Tags
abs, abs bypass, abs removal, k1200rs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode