BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200RS ABS Delete

19K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  H96669 
#1 ·
I have purchased a 2003 K1200RS that the po has bypassed the ABS. All the excess lines have been removed and the u bends installed to reattach the front and rear brakes. I have no brake light, cruise control or speedometer. The bike still has the pump hooked up. I have removed the pump body, separated it from the ABS ecu, re-connected the ecu, checked both brake signals and power (both keyed and constant) at the bulk connector. I noticed it has a badly burned spot on the circuit board when I removed the ABS ecu. I suspect this is why I am not getting anything to work. My question being, is there any way to bypass the ABS ecu and get the speedo to work. I have googled my self blind and all I have worked out is the work around for the brake light. I did a bit of looking for an ABS ecu on a bad servo but have had no luck. As I understand it I should have everything functioning with the ABS ecu still connected and powered up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thx in advance

#3 ·
ECU Board

I would love to find a good ABS ecu portion. Not sure if that will happen very easily. My board is burned pretty bad. We have an electronics department at my work that is going to give it a look later this week. Where is the I BMW forum? Thx Stacy

#6 ·
On the servo-ABS units, it's the electric motors that usually fail, not the board. so finding one with intact circuit board should not be too hard. I'd try Beemerboneyard.com Give them a call and tell them you are looking for a non-working servo-abs unit with the electrics intact for parts. There are plenty of failed units out there, just have to find one for your bike. They pop up from time to time on Ebay, as well. A bit of a gamble, I'll admit, since there is no way to know what part of the unit has failed, but you have to start somewhere. Since you need a "non-working" unit for parts, should be real cheap. Another source might be Module Masters in Moscow, Idaho. They have been trying to come up with a rebuild for these servo units for years. If nothing else, they should be familiar with what you are looking for.

#10 ·
I've just completed an ABS-Ectomy last weekend. It's not for the faint hearted and takes about 6 hours.

I bought the kit from Motorworks, removed the ABS unit, the old brake lines, took the warning bulb out of the dash and removed the ABS relay.

On the GT it's a fairing and tank off job. I removed the ABS control board off the ABS unit, fastened a box and recounted on the bike, this gives you your brake light and Speedo back.

For the UK guys. Insurance. Yes I've told mine and good job too as they refused to continue cover.

MOT. I've had a word with a mate who is an MOT Centre and yes it will fail if there are any red warning lights on, flashing or otherwise. The rule is "if it's fitted it MUST work".

I've done a test ride and it rides and stops great.

#11 ·
I castrated a 05 GS last year.Modulator is horizontally mounted vs the K1200 vertical but it is the same system.At the cost of a few crushwashers/brake fluid.Pulled the electronics disconnected all the wires,shrink over the terminals and slapped the brain back on and then the modulator back on the bike.

Took me a while to figure the how-to years ago for the K1200RS.But ever since I have been carrying 2 BMW bypass pipes and removed the 4 security torx holding the electronics in place and replaced them with bolts.

That is just in case my system fails on the road.....no way I would keep riding on the residual function.As far as a motel for some snip snip surgery and back on the road the next day?Pitstop at an Autoparts first for some shrink tubing/brake fluid and 2-3 hrs work?

Mind you that is if the electronics are good.One of the ABS electronics fault is brake light staying on at all times.That one would require switches replacement.

All that studying/asking questions just in case.....unfounded worries,my anally maintained iABS is now at 278,000 kms and performs perfectly.

#12 ·
Regardless of which direction you go, you need the control unit replaced/repaired. Module Masters in Idaho can fix them. It controls the speedo, brake lights and cruise with or without abs. I did the delete and I haven’t regretted it in the least. Read all the posts you can find, and if tin choose the ectomy route, this vid will help fill in all the gaps:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6pZpPnKeQzk

#16 ·
Searching for Spiegler kit

I have tried searching for the quoted Spiegler Kit BLK-4 for my 06 K1200GT - no luck.

Does anyone know of a specific braided stainless kit for ABS line rework to std brakes?

(And no - I dont want the module fixed)

Thanks
Michael (Queensland Australia)
06 K1200GTSE
99 R1100RT
13 Storm
18 Vulcan S
DJP Chair

#17 ·
I have tried searching for the quoted Spiegler Kit BLK-4 for my 06 K1200GT - no luck.

Does anyone know of a specific braided stainless kit for ABS line rework to std brakes?

(And no - I dont want the module fixed)

Thanks
Michael (Queensland Australia)
06 K1200GTSE
99 R1100RT
13 Storm
18 Vulcan S
DJP Chair
06? Is that a K-Brick down there? If so you don't need any kit altough SS braided lines to replace the prone to failure rubber ones are a must.

But you need the ABS electronics connected as they control speedometer and brake light that is IF your system doesn't have the "brake light staying ON at all times" which is a fault of the ABS electronics.

Two ABS bypass pipes for the iABS equipped K1200RS/GT.Rear will fit as is.Front may need some mods at the frame distribution block but easy enough.

Bypass pipes are BMW part number :34 32 766 1752

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.