Intermittent Engine Cut Out Preceded by Fuel Warning Light. 2000 K1200RS. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2017, 8:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy Intermittent Engine Cut Out Preceded by Fuel Warning Light. 2000 K1200RS.

Had my trusty stead for 15 years and really want to keep it. It's done 59 000 miles. Recently had an intermittent cut out problem. A couple of times stationary at start up it has ticked over then suddenly the fuel warning light comes on and it cuts out. The bike then starts and runs well.

It's also infrequently done this in general riding and cruising; fuel light on then sometimes a stall with all warning lights, engine then continues.

Thought it was the 'floppy' kill switch but this has been isolated, so that's not the problem.

Fuel filter changed in 2009. Ideas anyone? Help would de appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2017, 7:38 pm
cws

will take a stab... have you checked your fuel line inside tank in case it has a split? Been known to cause similar cut-out issues before... reported more on the LT list than I've seen in other forums, but its the same system. good luck hunting down the problem.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2017, 2:19 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo27 View Post
Had my trusty stead for 15 years and really want to keep it. It's done 59 000 miles. Recently had an intermittent cut out problem. A couple of times stationary at start up it has ticked over then suddenly the fuel warning light comes on and it cuts out. The bike then starts and runs well.

It's also infrequently done this in general riding and cruising; fuel light on then sometimes a stall with all warning lights, engine then continues.

Thought it was the 'floppy' kill switch but this has been isolated, so that's not the problem.

K1300 stalling every corner when i stop so, i remove gas tank and check for the actuator or iac valve under the airbox. I remove it and i notice it was full of crap! I clean it very well so i clean the hole where it goes instaled and HELL yeah!!! It worked. This failure was not detected using gs911. Idle now is soo smooth every red light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2017, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo27 View Post

Hi

Have you checked the vent line, which is a small hole inside the filler cap aperture? Mine was blocked and caused a vacuum which was enough to stall the engine!
When I opened the filler cap, there was a whooshing noise.
I did not have any fuel light issues, however the fuel gauge stopped working because the fuel sensor housing deformed as a result of the vacuum, this stopped the float from moving up or down.
I cleaned the line using wd40, the inside of a bike brake cable and some strimmer wire.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the above guys. This has been a couple of problems. Firstly the kill switch was loose this has been isolated. Secondly as identified above there was a venting problem. The internal top tank vent pipes were ok but the g clips were not tight, I replaced them with jubilee clips: the two internal pipes to the top tank vent need to be replaced on the correct feed, as I found out fuel vents from one pipe at standstill when you switch the engine off otherwise. Bike runs beautifully now, as it always has. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by davo27; Sep 22nd, 2017 at 1:34 pm. Reason: Clarification

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode