New guy from Colorado - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2017, 10:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

New guy from Colorado

I just picked up a '03 K1200RS. Silver and red. $3500. This is my first BMW. I came off of a '05 Goldwing that I used for LD (iron butt certified rides, but no IBR) and trips with my wife, riding. I lost my wife last year and when I sold the 'wing I thought I was done with motorcycling. Silly me. This bike is a super bang for the bucks.

The RS came with 14,500 miles, lowered pegs, bar backs, Sargent seat, replaced fuel disconnect, and the turn signals have be converted to secondary running lights. Any other suggestions on farkels? It has original bags and also city lids. It seems to run very well. The engine seems a bit buzzy compared to the wing (my hands quickly start going numb), but much quicker with great roll on power. It seems to hunt a bit at idle, is this normal? I have put about 1K miles on in the last couple of weeks running the canyons around the front range of Colorado before the snow flies.

Any thoughts on what to watch out for, additions or subtractions to the bike, etc. I need to find an effective way to blue tooth my SE iphone to my helmet for music, calls, and maps. Suggestions? If anyone is around the front range of Colorado and wants to check out changing fall colors and canyon runs (run like an old guy with a 16 year old brain) let me know.

Thanks, Ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Welcome aboard! Sound like you got a nice K bike with lots of desirable accessories. Everything you're describing I'd say is pretty much normal for the K series flying brick engines: the common "box of rocks" sound at idle, with a little hunting up and down (but not too much, no more than a couple hundred RPMs) and some buzz in the grips. This one seems to vary from bike to bike. Mine's a buzzer, too. I've put some grip puppy covers on the grips, which is a small improvement, along with some bar end weights made to accommodate the heated grips. The main thing to watch after on the 2003 and newer K bikes is the brake servo system. They need to be bled every 24 months. While it can be done at home (plenty of links and videos show you how) I take it to the dealer for it. Everything else I tackle at home. They are still a lot of bike for the money...enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode