Stability and Uni-go trailer (Long) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Stability and Uni-go trailer (Long)

Hi everyone,

At the request of "Cobbler" I thought I'd share my story about buying a Uni-go trailer for my '00 K1200RS.

I purchased the bike in Sept. 2001, used via eBay and flew to Ohio to pick it up. As testified on this forum, the bike was flawless, and is still today. Love the bike, am ready to go this summer.

After one cross country trip from Colorado (summer 2002) to points east, including Deals Gap, Charleston, SC, Miami, Tampa, and the return via the south, about 3200 miles... I was loaded to the gills with camping gear. A top case, a duffle bag, side bags, tank bag, GPS, etc... The bike worked great, but for me a bit top heavy. So I decided to look for a trailer.

The Uni-go looked good to me on the onset. At this time, Uni-go was a New Zealand product. I contacted their sales rep in Las Vegas, and much to my dismay, they did not make a hitch for the K1200RS at that time. According to Uni-go, they couldn't get a K1200RS in New Zealand so they could even do a prototype hitch.

After about 8 months, I got a call from the sales rep, saying that Uni-go was ready to ship a hitch for a K1200RS. So, I put my deposity down and started my six week wait for shipment.

Six weeks, a large crate arrived at my door. As stated from Uni-go, everything was packed extremely well, easy to assemble, and the paint match was perfect. The only problem I incurred with the installation, was the Givi mount that I owned could not be mounted with the Uni-go hitch as both secured to the same mounting points on the frame. One of them had to go, thus I no longer used the Givi mount and top case. After one trip, the top case had to go, and thanks to eBay, I found a good buyer. Thanks cobbler!

Excited to get on the road, I had another trip planned to Illinois to visit relatives there. Loaded the Uni-go, careful to try and balance the load in the trailer. Headed out of Boulder, then I-70 and Kansas.... About ten miles out of Denver, on I-70 I got the scare of my life. A convoy of semis passed me, and the trailer started fishtailing on me at 70MPH! The buffeting caused it, and as I slowed down to 50 MPH, it stopped. At the same time, the highway was cut parallel to the side for whatever reason, and I thought perhaps that was a contributing factor.

I struggled with this problem for the entire trip, any speed above 50 mph was an adventure, wondering what/when the trailer was going to start fishtailing. During the trip, I emailed NZ for an answer, with reponses of making sure my tire pressure was correct, the load was balanced, etc. No luck.

Once I returned home, I again emailed NZ. The response this time was different. Uni-go responded with an email which said a new hitch was on it's way to me, gratis from them.

About three weeks later, a nicely pack box arrived at my door from Uni-go. The usual black powder coated hitch mount was there. But this time, the tubing was considerably larger and the guage of the pipe was also thicker. Trying to recall, the older hitch mount was about 13mm in diameter. Can't address the thickness. The new hitch mount was about 15-16mm in diameter, and the walls were thicker. As I put on the new hitch, it was obvious the new one was much more sturdy. The Uni-go folks had done their homework, and best of all, it was free to me. I threw away the old hitch at their request, and so that's why I can't verify the old sizes...

Back on the road, the difference was like day and night. No more fishtailng, the trailer tracked right behind me, and as the adverstisements have said, I couldn't tell it was behind me.

So, in summary, I can say the Uni-go is a great buy. It performs flawlessly behind my K1200RS, has seen about 12,000 miles without a problem. I just wanted to relate this story to the forum for comments and other stories if possible.

cobbler and I have had a number of emails between us. There seemed to be confusion between the new owners of Uni-go USA and the NZ folks. Apparently the NZ folks didn't forward the plans for a hitch to the USA folks, and so the USA folks couldn't/didn't offer a hitch assembly for the K1200RS until recently.

If there are any early adopters of the Uni-go with a K1200RS attached to their RS, it would be good to hear from you.

Incidentally, the wiring for the trailer is pretty easy. There are available connection points underneath the seat that make it easy with only one splice for a common wire. If anyone wants details, I'd be glad to help.

So let me know about those other Uni-go trailers mounted to a RS!

Thanks!

'00 Graphite Gray RS with Uni-go to match...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 9:22 pm
Rookie

Pictures? We REALLY need a photo of your rig! It sounds great!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 10:07 pm

I use a Uni-Go hitch on my RS, to pull a Bunkhouse camper. I have no problems with it, but did modify it for clearance of the shock absorber compression adjuster.
I have sucessfully used the GIVI rack mounts along with the Uni-Go hitch, the GIVI brackets are heavier than the ones supplied with my hitch in '03.
I saw the Uni-Go rep at GMR. He had a trailer on a K12RS with their new hitch for that bike. It's a bit heavier tubing than the one I have (3/4"), maybe close to 1" diameter, and appears to have solved the shock clearance problem. They have the K12RS/GT hitch in production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Uni-go and K1200RS USA

Barry G asked for photos.

As soon as I can figure out how to do that, I'll post them

K1200RSPD
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Uni-go and K1200RS USA

Here's a few photos of my bike and a Uni-go as attachments.

Bike parked at Prairie Dog State Park, US 36, Kansas...

Note the different colored velcro ties up the hitch frame. The wiring harness is under the rear BMW top case holder...

Please note the tag on the Uni-go. Yep, made in Feb. 2002.

The hitch shows the articulation of the universal joint and the safety chain.

Oh, by the way, since the trailer had to be assembled, in Colorado, you don't need a trailer license. Took me three trips to the DMV to get that straightened out....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1641_2 (Large).JPG
Views:	519
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	2458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401 (Large).JPG
Views:	576
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402 (Large).JPG
Views:	462
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	2460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403 (Large).JPG
Views:	475
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	2461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405 (Large).JPG
Views:	420
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2462  

Name:	IMG_0406 (Large).JPG
Views:	282
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	2463   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407 (Large).JPG
Views:	441
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	2464  

Last edited by K1200rspd; May 15th, 2006 at 10:26 pm.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 5:23 am
Veteran

We,ve had a uni-go on our RS for two years. Looks like the same hitch as your's. We get a wobble at around 80 mph. Other than that we really like it.

If you look in this month's Owner's News in the VT Rally section, you'll see my bike with part of the Uni-go. I think they cropped it out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Uni-go 004.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	2465  

02 K12RS (Molested)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 8:24 am
Addict

Uni-go

Thanks to all for your input. I've been on the fence for some time......now I'm sold.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Question Uni-Go - Can't feel behind me

I am considering a Uni -Go but find it very hard to believe that you can't feel it behind you. Are you really saying you can throw the bike into a bend like you would without a trailor. All that extra weight must have an effect on braking, the trailor has no brakes of its own? Power does not worry me because the K12 has so much brute muscle it could haul a train if it had to

Don't whether there are any European riders reading but am wondering what the law is on motorcycle trailers on this side of the pond. How fast is it legal to go with one.

regrds
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Handling with Uni-go

Hi,

thanks for the reply...

i suppose there are some repercussions with the trailer. One of the most noticeable is taking off, bringing the bike upright if you didn't use the center stand. that can be a bit of a chore, but no worse than having a top case and tankbag onboard...

but, i've got to stick to my first impressions and riding with the thing. I ride the rocky mountains, through the canyons, and find it not a problem. it leans when i lean, it turns when it turn. the tire on the trailer is a metzler, much smaller than what i run on the bike, but just the same, it's a radial, and runs like one.

with the new hitch i discussed earlier, i've run at a constant 90 mph without any problems and higher than automobile speed through all corners.

one point of caution though... keep in mind that Uni-go says not to load it with more than 100 lbs of weight. can't remember off the top of my head, but the trailer is less than 70 lbs so total weight is less than 200 lbs.

can't address the other side of the pond, but keep in mind, they were first developed and manufactured in New Zealand...

good ridin' to all,

k1200rspd
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Isn't there a requirement to register it as a trailer like any other? or is it just an extension of the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode