Bad Fuel Injector seals - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2017, 10:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bad Fuel Injector seals

I had a 99 K1200RS, 62000 miles.

Put 3k miles on it earlier in the summer and had to park it for a couple of months but always went out and started it every couple of weeks and took it around the block every so often.

Anyway the last time I tried to start it - it wouldn't. Shortly afterwards smoke came up from under the gas tank, front left. Shortly after that flames came out.

Got the bike out of the garage and wife got the fire extinguisher. (Dry chemical)

Bike ended up being written off as a total loss, main wiring harness burned, radiator fan housing melted, some other wiring harnesses and cable burned as well. From the outside you could never tell. Was looking at 9K in parts plus at least 20 hours of labor.

The dealer believes the seal on the front fuel injector failed allowing fuel to escape. Which eventually caught fire.
This dealer had never heard of this happening, my in-laws who are also dealers in Europe have never heard of such a thing.

Just curious if anyone out there has heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode