Shop advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2018, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Shop advice

I'm getting too old to crawl around the garage floor, so I've been shopping for a "device" to raise my GT for minor maintenance tasks, mostly tire and oil changes. Some are relatively inexpensive, but I'm confused by the variety available. I can't even tell if there is one product that would work for both tasks. I'm not sure the generic jacks, wheel lifts, etc. are compatible with the configuration of the GT. Can anyone help with a recommendation?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2018, 11:10 am

Shop lift

I can help on this one by telling you NOT what to do. Don't waste your time with any of the cheap, made in China lifts like I did. Do it right and buy a Handy lift, made in the USA. Costs more, but you do get what you pay for. I shopped around for a lift, and bought one on line. One of the "Black Widow" made in China lifts from a large e-tailer on line. What a mess. I can't even describe how many parts were missing from the busted-up pallet unloaded at my door. No ramps, no bars to hold the extra side sections, etc. When I called the seller, they were very helpful, and send me a set of ramps which did not fit my lift! To make a long story short, I've made do with it, but would NEVER do it again. A waste of time, money and effort. Stick with Handy, you will be much better off in the long run. One more important thing. The GT and RS centerstands are very low to the ground and will catch on the lifts because the approach ramps provided are too short. I have to put a piece of wood under mine to raise it so the center stand does not hang up loading the bike on the lift table. I keep thinking I'll have a fabricator make a longer ramp for me...someday. Watch this vid, and you'll see what I mean. It's an LT, but same issue: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4D&FORM=VRDGAR
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2018, 2:31 am
Noob

Garage
I bought a Chinese one and put an extension each side to make it easier to put the bike up onto the stand. Had none of the problems described by the previous poster. I will try to attach a picture. The bike in the picture is my grandsons Kawasaki but it handles the k1200 with ease. My motivation for getting it was the same as yours, I am not lying on another concrete floor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F7445BA-85A0-48AC-8F13-B868F32D6A9B.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	627.4 KB
ID:	22818  

Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2018, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Alex. Do you remember the brand and model?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2018, 2:43 am
Noob

Garage
Sorry I donít. There are a number on evilbay for sale here in Australia so I expect they will be readily available in the US.
I sought advice on iBMW, recommendations were scissor lift, front wheel holder and two working positions. I was checking the valve clearances today, had it on the lower position and sat on a stool and did all the checks, majic
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B2593CD6-BCF5-4987-B36C-32339B18977C.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	22826   Click image for larger version

Name:	B7A10EB4-3B14-4145-992B-117E17F53243.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	22834   Click image for larger version

Name:	F48A4776-BE56-43DF-9B57-9A6FF4F5562B.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	1,021.1 KB
ID:	22842   Click image for larger version

Name:	3BEB2E88-B2F4-42B2-AB5D-7FF6EFF6F76B.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	22850   Click image for larger version

Name:	5EB191A3-FC72-4A7C-9BAB-0A99B1C0A345.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	987.7 KB
ID:	22858  

Alex.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 1:04 am
cws

bike lifts

Alex, looks like they may have re-designed that model slightly - at least I hope so (is it a Motomax?)... I bought one a few years ago as it was supposedly rated to around 800kg...... put my K1200LT on it and it tore the crossbeam that the hydraulic attaches to clean apart on the first lift. Looks like they have a welded support bar on their now instead.

I would up paying for a decent shop-quality one from a guy in Qld... much safer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2177.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	22986  

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 9:36 am
Rookie

Smile bike lifts

I bought the Harbor Freight lift to do an output shaft replacement a few years ago and it worked OK. For smaller jobs like oil changes I find it too much trouble to retrieve the lift from under the push mower and bicycle, position it, push bike onto it(being careful not to drop it in process of course.) A drawback is the wheel clamp/chock which secures the front wheel. As you probably know, the handle bars often need to be turned to do some jobs, so you are temped to leave it unsecured and also remove straps if they are attached to your grips. Be careful. Also many jobs like the semi annual ABS unit flush require access to the top of the bike during the job so some raising up and down is required. Only reason for keeping this thing is the possibility of needing to do another large job. Don't mean to be discouraging, but lifts require some investment of time/work as well IMHO.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2018, 8:48 am
Noob

I have 2 Handy lifts. with 14 bikes they are PRICELESS!! Along with a No Mar tire machine )

Try Craigs list, thats how I found mine 3 & $400 worth every penny !

Last edited by K_12Pilot; Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:50 am. Reason: more info
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2018, 11:57 pm
MIK

Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight lift works fine as well. Been using it for 8 years now...

https://youtu.be/Y463d_HTHqs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode